Sunday, September 16, 2012

Peace Pilgrim

I was pleased that Leslie decided to accompany me to Peace Pilgrim Park in Egg Harbor City and we left a bit after 8:00 am.  (It's amazing to me that a municipality would agree to name a park for a pacifist, let alone allow the statue, herb garden, and tiles that honor her there.)
The "Peace Pilgrim" was a woman from Egg Harbor City named Mildred Norman Ryder, who "walked for peace" over her 73-year life span, more than 25,000 miles.  Tragically, she was killed at the age of 73 in 1981 as a result of a car accident in Knox, Indiana. 
I've participated in Peace Pilgrim events in several other years and have her biography.  Here is more information about her and her ideals:
http://www.peacepilgrim.org/pphome.htm
It was a two-mile walk and I'd say about two hundred people attended.  We were glad to see the young people there, including a soccer team from Cedar Creek High School.  We stopped twice, once to witness the installation of a post with some of the Peace Pilgrim's sayings on it and once at her childhood home.  The weather couldn't have been better: sunny and warm, but not hot with a cool breeze.
After, we gathered at the park where tables and chairs had been set up.  I received my peace tee-shirt, which I'm wearing now, and we got to know other attendees before lunch.  It was pot-luck, but I completely forgot to bring something; however, there were plenty of good dishes, as well as hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill.
We chatted with the Peace Pilgrim's sister, Helene, a lovely lady,  remarkably spry and well-spoken.  Incredibly, she graduated from high school in 1932, so is in her early nineties. For many years, she told us,she picked up her sister's mail at the Cologne, NJ post office while Mildred was walking for peace.
We got home about two and said goodbye.  I then surprised myself by napping for two hours or so.  Got up refreshed and drove up to B.J.'s for various supplies.
After dinner, Ellen called on Skype, deviating from her regular Sunday call, but that was fine, as I'm always glad to hear from her.  We talked until almost ten, but no prob, as I had had that nap.  Went to bed and slept well.
I was happy to get an e-mail from the northern dweller asking if I'd like to go to dinner with her on Tuesday, then to Barnegat Library where her hubby is one of the photographers featured in a Pinelands photo program; he'll be there to answer questions, too.  I accepted immediately, although that means I'll have to miss rehearsal.  Hope Tonya doesn't mind.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...