Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Over to Atlantic County for various errands--grocery shopping, mostly, that I could have done in Manahawkin. Just felt like going farther afield.
Got the script for You Can't Take It With You, which we're doing in October. I was disappointed in the fact that, although there are a lot of parts, none are completely ideal for me. Would love to play Penny, one of the major roles, but she's described as a woman in her fifties and--gulp!--not sure I could pass. The other two parts I could play are Gay Wellington, a drunken actress or Duchess Olga Katrina, of indeterminate ages. Problem with them is that they're very small parts--after Night, I'd love something meatier. Well, we'll see.
Received a very peculiar e-mail "appeal" from the Plays and Playwrights group, asking all members to send fifty dollars immediately to the treasurer, as he says they're running low on money. WHAT?! I wrote back asking if there were not dues, if not, why not, was there a treasurer's report and how odd I thought the request. Got a haughty message back from just an ordinary member to the effect that the leader gets a stipend, there are photo copy expenses, and so on and so forth, with the general tone great indignation that I should dare to question. Am formulating a reply.
Got Leslie's and my tickets for Joseph And His Amazing Technicolor Coat, to which we're going on the twenty-second. Talked to Betty and that was my day.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Yes, go for the 50ish role--easy to get your hair up and be a blonde, or get a blonde pixie wig. You can do it. Wear the wig for the audition. You're an actress girl -- go for it. Just don't show up like a 70ish grandmother -- get into the role and be a bit sultry. Don't overdo it or they'll make you the drunken actress..
I think blonde will knock off years.

Mimi said...

Not a bad idea, Pat, but my hair's already blonde. I may consider the wig, though. Tonya is directing and she knows my age and me--played my niece a few weeks ago in "Night." That may be a good thing, as she knows what I can do. As for the "70-ish grandmother" (great-grandmother, actually), I wouldn't go to anywhere in that guise! The complication is that one of the other main characters is MY FATHER. We don't have too many guys who could play that. Anyway, I will audition for all three. Thanks for the comment!
s

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...