Friday, March 16, 2012

Finally bestirred myself to start moving older things out of the guest room and moving Dionne Quintuplet things in. The guest room is my base of operations for any project, new on on-going, that includes artifacts. I removed a lot of the toys and games I had accumulated for when any children--granddaughters and great-grandsons, mainly--visited and took them to the SOCH thrift store. On the way home, I started to cry; I no longer have children visiting and I'm so sorry.
Spent the afternoon in an unusual activity: I watched a movie called Jacob's Ladder and was absolutely enthralled. I can't remember where I read about it, but I think on a list of people's favorite movies. It's 22 years old, stars Tim Robbins. I don't want to mention the plot because I can't do that without spoiling it to some extent, but boy, I thought it was great, although hardly light-hearted.
Susan's dinner party helped to lift my spirits. Besides herself and Walter, she had the L.'s, Ray and Barb H., and Bessie and Bob F. I had nothing green to wear, so I wore black and white and added the brooch from Ireland Mike had given me. Didn't realize before that you can wear it as a pendant and that's what I did. Everybody remarked on it.
Bessie asked me what medication I take for fear of flying and I filled her in on Ativan. She and Bob are flying to Seattle to attend his granddaughter's R.N. graduation and she's as scared as I was to fly.
Susan had her traditional corned beef and cabbage, boiled potatoes, and carrots, plus cake with green icing. Of course, there were copious amounts of alcohol: I had the very dark Guinness beer, Chardonnay, plus a little brandy, Bushmill's in my coffee, and Irish Creme over my ice cream. Sounds as if I'd be on the floor, but in truth, I didn't have large amounts of any of it.
Susan gave each of the women beautiful six packs of pansies, tied with ribbon--what a nice gesture, especially considering I've been admiring her already planted pansies.
An unfortunate incident happened, though: Barb had made two loaves of very tense authentic soda bread, one plain, one with currents and other things in it. Naturally, I had to take a slice of the latter and when I bit into it, I broke a tooth off my partial upper plate. I was able to retrieve it and, having no pockets, without anyone noticing, slipped it into my bra. I hope it will be able to be reattached.
Meeting Betty and Muckie for lunch today.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Good party....not so good for the tooth. Hope it can be inexpensively repaired.
You sound like you have such nice neighbors in your area...lots of social activities.
When we first moved here we had similar fun times, but those folks moved and it's not the same. Those of us who are 'originals' are still 'good folks' so I think we will not be going anywhere soon.
Have fun with Betty and Muckie and give them my love.

Mimi said...

I do have great neighbors, who are also great friends, as I think you know. When Pat died, they could not have been more supportive.
BTW, I just got back from lunch; told Mckie about Bob's tribute to your dear brother and she asked if I'd print it out and send to her, which I will.

Friday

Weight: stayed the same at home (125.4) and at T.O.P.S. was up an inconsequential .06 to 125.4. Maria brought a guest and we had a fairly in...