Monday, March 12, 2012

Busied myself with domestic chores in the morning and early afternoon, showered, then drove to the old municipal building to attend auditions for The Odd Couple. Director Neil G. and others involved were standing around in the parking lot. Why? It was evident the locks had been changed, so the key Desi had been given didn't work. I'm sure this wasn't directed at the theatre group--well, I'm pretty sure--but is just another example of lack of communication.
Meantime, Jeff G. handed out the Girl Scout cookies he had sold for his little girl at one of the Night rehearsals (I had bought two and donated one, so owed $12). It was finally decided that we'd go over to the community center, which we've often used for rehearsals. We did and found two huge fire engines with ladders extended doing maneuvers or something in the parking lot. We also found that the center was being used by four autistic children and their parents and they refused to let us use part of the big room. (I can understand this, as autistic children are easily distracted.)
Neil then got the brilliant idea to audition outside at one of the parks. For some mysterious reason, he chose the Green St. Bay one, directly on the water, which was filled with whitecaps and flying spray. We tried to get out of the ferocious wind by huddling next to the restroom building and people actually read for parts there. Boy, was it cold. We were there abou 45 minutes. Jeff was great--if he doesn't get a major part, I'll eat the script--and another guy I don't know was pretty good.
After, Neil asked if I'd take over the props coordinator job. This is not finding props (and he calls this a "prop-heavy play"), but keeping track of where they came from and being sure they're returned. He had given me a choice of that or being in charge of group sales and I don't want that responsibility, so I agreed o the props thing. It should be too onerous and will keep me involved.
Jeff said his wife, Georgia, whom I know and like, would take over publicity; Aline can assist. I e-mailed Desi to see if he had gotten the material back from A.J., but he said he hadn't been in touch with her. He'll contact her.
Heard from P. and N. via Skype in the morning, then had a good long call with darling daughter Ellen in the evening to top off the day.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...