Saturday, February 25, 2012

Yesterday? That was a day that was a day. Early on, got a Skype call from P. and N. and, as ever, enjoyed that. Went early to Wal-Mart to pick up a few things, naturally taking my trusty tape recorder with me. (I'm told they're now old fashioned; not sure what people use nowadays, but probably something that can fit under your thumbnail. However, this suits me perfectly fine.)
After lunch, the phone rang and a man informed me he was calling from Atlantic city Electric. He said my service would be turned off that afternoon unless I took $299.99 to the main office on Arctic Avenue--before the end of the day and in cash. Incredibly enough, I took him seriously at first, the reason being that he said it had to do with my "alternative provider," which indeed, I had signed up for a few months ago AND with whom I had problems too long and involved to go into here. At one point, he even switched me over to his "processing department" and another man got on the line.
It finally dawned on me this couldn't possibly be authentic, so I asked for a phone number to call him back. He hemmed and hawed and kept talking, at which point I hung up and looked up the Electric Company number. Called them and of course, this was a scam. Called the A.C. police and a detective advised me to notify my local police. Went to the police department and talked to an officer. He said it wasn't a reportable incident, as I hadn't actually remitted money.
Got home to prepare for opening night. We had a 5:30 call and at about 5:00, the rain, thunder, and lightning started. Oh, boy, that'll bring people out of their houses, all right, I thought--not! Got to the school to be told Rose, our ticket taker, was sick and couldn't come and Dave S., who plays a detective, pressed his wife, Carol into service.
Kevin, who's really the star of the show, gave each of the cast members a nicely bagged gift. We were all charmed to see a shot glass with a metal plate and the inscription "Night Must Fall." Boy, that was an elegant gesture; I'll cherish mine.
We all thought we'd be playing to a dozen people, but were pleased to see the place fill up about three quarters of the way.
The play itself went over wonderfully well; we got lots of applause and a standing ovation at the end. What surprised all of us were the laughs. This is not a comedy, although the housekeeper, Mrs. Terence (Ellen V.), has some funny lines and here and there, and sarcasm is employed, which often drew laughs. Anyway, it came together and clearly, the audience has a fine time. Now we have to be very careful to sustain the level of performance of last night.
We had a joint cast and birthday party at Jim and Mary H.'s; it was Jim's sixtieth and that was great good fun. They have a large and beautifully appointed house in the country, to which I've been before. Good grief, I had white and red wine, Irish cream, and brandy--can't even remember what else--but ate the wonderful shrimp, salmon, cheeses, veggies and dip, tiny meatballs, topped off by birthday cake, cheesecake, and a few other desserts.
What great fun to laugh and talk and party with colleagues of the stage! I came to this interest late in life, but hope to continue for a long time to come. After several hours, the party finally broke up and I got home at the ungodly hour of two am! I went straight to bed, so must wash the sprayed-in grey out of my hair shortly. Woke up at 7:00, but try to fit a nap in today.

No comments:

Tuesday

As has been happening lately, I spent an age dealing with R.E. agent, Kim, and requirements  surrounding the house. I got the quarterly wate...