Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Day From The Devil

 A terrible day. I woke up with my left eye feeling sore when I blinked or touched it. Called Miramar (ophthalmologists) and got an appointment for 11:00. Got there and was taken fairly quickly, a miracle for Miramar, which is the outfit I walked out on last year.

Dr. F. examined me, removed a tiny something from under my eyelid and said I had an infection. He said he'd prescribe an ointment I should put in after warm compresses. It was a bit unsettling when he said I had to be very careful not to use too much (the size of half a grain of rice), a it could cause temporary blindness. He mentioned there were eye drops, so I could opt for that, but they aren't nearly as effective. I said the ointment was okay, which I now regret. He said he'd call the Rx into CVS. 

I was glad to have gotten finished so quickly--unusual for Miramar--especially since I had gotten a call from the optical department, which is housed right across the aisle (medical integrity? Come on, it's all business all the way), to say my glasses were finished. I went over there and found they had done only the close vision part. So why not just use the ten or so dollar store glasses I already have? The clerk said I must have ordered them that way and I just grabbed them and left. Caught the bus and, since I get off just before the Von's shopping center, where CVS is, I stopped there before I went home to get my prescription. 

But they hadn't gotten any communication from Miramar. I said I'd call Miramar when I got home. Did so and was greeted by the infuriatingly chummy--and long-winded--male voice telling me they're closed between noon and 1:30. (They have DOZENS of employees, you'd think they could stagger lunch!) 

I had lunch myself, then called CVS to see it the prescription was in.  It seems they had one for me (this information was on a recording), that would be ready on Thursday. THURSDAY???? I have an eye infection on Tuesday, so what gives? Called CVS and was told that those sweet folks at Miramar  probably didn't know how to access the e-script program electronically. 

Since then--and I'm typing this after 4:00 on Tuesday, I've been back and forth to CVS and Miramar roughly ten times each, trying to straighten this out. Just now, knowing they close at 5:00, I called Miramar again. The person I spoke to said "the technicians" are the ones who need to handle this. But, of course, I can't talk to "the technicians." She asked if I wanted to speak to the office manager; yes, I did, but guess what? She wasn't available and I had to leave a message. 

I guess one might wonder why I don't go to some other ophthalmologists. Oh, no, no, no, my insurance covers only Miramar, no matter how shoddy their patient practices. Finally, I got a call from CVS while I was having dinner telling me the Rx was in. Walked over, brought it home, and...

...on the package, it says "Apply to left upper lid twice a day." On the insert directions, it says to "make a pouch of the lower lid" and put the med in that. When I was examined, Dr. F. told me something about applying it under the lid. Damn, I'll have to call to get all this straightened out. In fact, I'm going to tell him to write me a prescription for the drops--I don't think I can handle the ointment, anyway. 

To top off this Day From The Devil, my clicker to get in and out of the gates stopped working, so I'll have to go to the the office for another one today.   


1 comment:

iloveac said...

OMG Rosemary...what a day you had. And yes...the whole health care system sucks big time. Today has to be better.

Sunny Sunday

It was sunny in more ways than one. Not only did we enjoy the bountiful and beautiful sunshine, but I spent several sunny hours with my daug...