Tuesday, March 08, 2022

I've Seen Better...

What a freakin' day! It started off when I remembered that on Saturday, I had received a letter from the Little Egg tax assessor, asking me to call the office.  I did and learned that I owe them $2150. Why? Because Pat, my late husband, was a veteran and had always received a $250 deduction in property taxes. As his widow, I was entitled to the same. So--what's the prob? Well, you have to live in New Jersey to get it. The tax office hadn't known I had moved until they received the revised deed for my house. Since I moved here in 2016, I have to make up that money--a thou and a quarter. Damn, I hope there aren't any interest or fees tacked on.

Started the income tax thing, which was tedious. I have a number of questions to ask Michelle, my accountant ("my" accountant, ha, you'd think I was Bill Gates). I then--finally--completed the DNA thing Mike had sent and walked the box to the post office. After I dropped it in the box, I realized I had forgotten to put my return address on. Since I trust the P.O. about as much as I do politicians, that annoyed me, but I decided not to go back and ask to retrieve it. 

Had lunch, then took off for town. On the bus, I glanced at my email on the phone and saw a message from the Ventura County Star saying my credit card to pay them had been declined. What? Huh? I've paid the same way for years--automatically out of my bank account, so what credit card?  Figuring it was just an annoying little mix-up, I strolled in town, bought some pillow cases, then bused home...

...at which point, I called the Star, which resulted in an hour on the phone with two different representative and the most screwed-up, infuriating mess I've ever encountered. I don't even want to go into any detail--it's just too crappy, but the upshot was that, instead of having payment deducted automatically from my bank account, I'm going to have them send me an email bill every  month. At least that was taken care of...

...NOT! After the (second) call was completed and the other party hung up, my phone wouldn't. I know it's something I should know how to do, but I don't. I actually had to go next door to Suzanne's and ask her to look at it. She did, then accidentally got it to hang--AAGH!

Nothing else could go wrong, right? HA! I had planned to participate in a Zoom meeting with David Swanson's World Without War group on the situation in Ukraine. Got into it, but the sound kept cutting out and I saw on my screen a notice that my internet connection was unstable and  my network bandwidth is low. This is absolutely infuriating because that's why I started paying Yandoo Communications an extra fifty a month about a year ago! The same messages had come up and it was supposed to be increased. So that's another frustrating call to make. 

Today has GOT to be better! 

 

No comments:

Sunny Sunday

It was sunny in more ways than one. Not only did we enjoy the bountiful and beautiful sunshine, but I spent several sunny hours with my daug...