Wednesday, March 02, 2022

Sinks, Sharon, Sarah, And Suzanne

Tidied up a bit, as I was expecting maintenance to come over at 11:00. Javier did, and replaced the heads on the sink faucets yet again. It occurred to me that I've seen only Javier and Jose working recently; what ever happened to Gabe and Troy is anybody's guess. Suzanne and I suspect Gabe had some problem--or created a problem--and as for Troy, that's a puzzle. I know he and his wife lived here--or used to--but whether the apartment was part of his compensation or not, I don't know. I'm pretty sure he no longer does, or I'd have seen him around. Anyway, Javier once again changed the faucet tops and the water's flowing freely, but I don't expect it to last. 

Sharon called to say she again won't be going to T.O.P.S. this week. She'll have "several medical procedures" on Thursday, including a colonoscopy. For her, she said, they have to do a special procedure and she's gets to sleep for it. Not sure how that works, but considering her extreme obesity and her other ailments, I'm not surprised. 

Left for the mall after lunch. I didn't have any particular place I wanted to go, but just walked through Target, Macy's, Penney's, and here and there. Of course, it was like a ghost town, as usual. I bought a pair of St. Pat's Day socks for Koushin--every Japanese boy needs them. Bused home and stopped at Von's for clementines; I can't start my day without including citrus as part of breakfast. 

Sarah, the cremation person, came at 3:00, as arranged, and was here for more than two hours. She answered every question I had about cremation, so I was well satisfied. I told her I wasn't going to commit myself right now, but was leaning toward it. The complication of our burial plot in Jersey and my death in California was one of my worries, but she answered it to my satisfaction. It was even more of a relief when I asked "what if I die in Jersey, while I'm visiting?" It wouldn't make sense to send the body back here, have it cremated, then have the ashes shipped back to Jersey. In that case, they can transfer my contract to George Wimberg--good. I showed her a picture of our burial plot at Laurel Memorial:

Sarah went on and on about her wife, Sally, who's with Amazon and just got transferred to Glendale, Arizona, but so what, I enjoyed her talk. After she left, I knocked on Suzanne's door and invited her in for one of our chats. She brought her O'Douls', I had my Modelo, and we had a good talk about books we're reading. She'll lend me Dorothy Day's autobiography and I'll lend her My Own Pace when I'm finished. 

Called Ellen after dinner to ask her to come over on Sunday and help me hang the new pictures I got. She will, and we'll go to lunch at the Hill Street Cafe first. She suggested--a brilliant idea--that I trace the picture frames on newspaper first, then tape them to the wall where I want them. Will do. 

Julie will pick me up today at ten of nine and we'll go to Beach City Neighbors And Newcomers. I used to belong to this group and, possibly, will rejoin. 

3 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
I'm a huge supporter of full-body donation. After the studies are done, the ashes (cremains) can be sent to whomever you designate. You could have them interred with Pat. It's all free. Rather than decaying in the ground so many living folks can benefit. You can call your Anatomical Board to have questions answered. Give it some thought.

Mimi said...

Pat, that's something I had never considered, and THANK YOU for the suggestion Don't know if I'll do it, but I'll certainly look into it. BTW, I'd like to talk to you about cremation; are you available for a phone call about--say, 8:00, your time?

iloveac said...

Hi Rosemary,
Tonight (Friday) I'll be back in my apt after Cribbage around 8:30 PM...Sat and Sunday ...fine.
/p

Sunny Sunday

It was sunny in more ways than one. Not only did we enjoy the bountiful and beautiful sunshine, but I spent several sunny hours with my daug...