Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Marlon Brando, Slavery, And My Darling Daughter

Went to Von's for lettuce, broccoli, and stuff.  After that, D.D. Ellen called that she'd be over. We discussed whether she should get me a new DVD at Wal-Mart, but it looks as if the last DVD I watched, The Reader, ran fine all the way through, so I told her to hold off. I told her how I was looking forward to seeing The Godfather, as I had bought the DVD collection.  It was secondhand from a thrift store, but in a jacket and wrapped in cellophane. It contains all three movies, plus extras--I thought, and I hadn't yet unwrapped it. But when I did--oh, no!--I saw that that the first and best Marlon Brando one wasn't there. I immediately got on the laptop and ordered it. 
Walked over the foot bridge to the Hill Street branch of the library and picked up Stephen King's If It Bleeds, which I think I requested months ago, and finally got. I won't start it yet, though, because I'm still in the slave chronicles:
This is an enthralling true account of the experiences of the author's experience. Very even-handed, it doesn't portray all whites as evil and all blacks as angelic. What pervades throughout is the simple fact that people in the south--and elsewhere, also--accepted as normal and natural the slavery of some people by others. But maybe that shouldn't surprise anyone, considering how many today swallow--even applaud--the idea of killing strangers on command. 
El came over about 3:00, bringing me a bonanza of tomatoes, large sweet peppers, and tiny ones. She also gave me a certificate for up to $10 worth of ice from Smart 'n' Final. We laughed over the fact she was given three of them as some sort of teachers' bonanza. I'll ask Suzanne if she knows anyone who can use it.
El and I sat out front for an hour or so, talking away. Politics was one topic; it's amazing how many people I know who consider Trump the devil incarnate. While we talked, Andy from upstairs came with his little pup, Abby. Geez, even I think she's a cute little doggie. Later, Leah, from the other apartment upstairs came home and we enjoyed chatting with her for a few minutes. She said her mother is working on her doctorate; she may be visiting here for Christmas and I hope to meet her then.
I was delighted when Ellen invited me over for Friday or Saturday. I don't care which and she'll call me. She and Greg had gotten their COVID tests results back and neither have it, so now she's okay to have me come for lunch--YAY!
I started watching the DVD One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Next. I've seen it before and read the book years ago, but for some reason, I lost interest after a half-hour. It seems dated; guess I'm used to less stylized stuff now.


No comments:

Sunny Sunday

It was sunny in more ways than one. Not only did we enjoy the bountiful and beautiful sunshine, but I spent several sunny hours with my daug...