Friday, August 14, 2020

At Ellen's

I got to Ojai at noon and walked the mile and a half to Ellen's. At that point, it wasn't terribly hot and there was a gentle breeze.
I had bought little toys with feathers on them for Gwennie and Cessie and we had a hilarious time laughing at their antics. I've never seen cats--and these are only four months old--as active. They constantly run, leap, and jump, batting around whatever small objects come their way and play-fight each other, too. One (I can't tell them apart) jumped right up on the table while we were having lunch and was annoyed when I shooed her down.
Ellen had a nice tray of appetizers from the day before when Greg and Roz were there. It included wedges of pita bread, hummus, and thinly sliced cucumbers, beside very small olives that were wonderfully tasty. We then had Bistro MD meals, along with iced tea (El) and two beers (guess?).
But the real treat was conversation with my daughter. We talked and talked and talked about all kinds of topics, which I love to do. Besides that, El showed me a new device that channels songs from her phone--can't remember what it's called, but I asked for "Shenandoah." She first had Bruce Springsteen, that poor excuse for an entertainer, sing it, then Harve P-- (can't remember his name), who was pretty good, then Pete Seeger, who was very good. I also requested some by the Ink Spots and--my favorites--The Platters. When they sing "Only You" it's just the best there is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FygIKsnkCw
I accepted El's offer to drive me to the bus stop, as it was 90 degrees out by that time, and I got home just before six. I rang Suzanne's bell to give her hairdresser Cindy's phone number. We stood and talked for a half hour, catching up on our personal news. I then had dinner--or "dinner," consisting solely of the wonderful tomatoes fresh-picked from Ellen's garden.
As I told her, it was my most enjoyable day since June, when I was at her place last.

No comments:

Sunny Sunday

It was sunny in more ways than one. Not only did we enjoy the bountiful and beautiful sunshine, but I spent several sunny hours with my daug...