Wednesday, August 26, 2020

A Birthday And A Wedding

I had asked his Dad what my little grandson might like for his seventh birthday next month. The answer was an aquarium, which tickled me, since I remember when Patrick had them. He even provided the info on Amazon Japan and, after some difficulties, I was able to order it.
I tried on the jeans (actually, "jeggings") I had gotten at Wal-Mart and I could wear them, but they were a little too snug. I walked back to Wal-Mart to exchange for the next size. Stopped at the Market for lettuce and tomatoes and bused back.
I was surprised to find a box from Amazon at my door, as I didn't remember ordering anything that hadn't come. Took it in, opened it, and found the book, Hello Darkness, My Old Friend.  Now this was a puzzle: I had requested the book from the library, so why--? Then I found this oddly phrased note inside:
I just couldn't figure this out. The upshot was that I bused to town after lunch and went straight to the library, bringing the notice. When I asked about it, I was told why, yes, the library does this now with newer books, if they aren't in their catalog. They send it--brand new--to the requester, and when it's returned, register it as a library book.
This is mind-boggling. There isn't even any actual return date. And there isn't anything that certifies this book actually belongs to the library. In fact, it doesn't, not until I bring it there. Wow, Miss Veronica Cary at the Ventnor City Library must be spinning in her... Never mind.
Another good happening: Almost two years ago, in September, 2018, my nephew, Jim Byrne, brought his dad, my brother, Frank, here. Jim saw the two large pictures of my father at Villanova, and asked to to borrow the disk I had them on. Now from my blog at the time:

I found the disc of two large formal pictures of my Dad when he was at Villanova. One is his debating team, the other the track team. I have the originals on my wall and had told my nephew Jim (my Dad's namesake) I had had a disc made of them and would let him borrow it if I could find it. I did and mailed it yesterday.

(For some strange reason, I can never seem to get my font size back to normal after I copy an earlier blog entry. Also, why is this now in bold? Dunno and I just ain't got the smarts to figure it out.)
I never heard back from Jim, but a few months ago, his brother, Patrick, asked to borrow it. I told him Jim hadn't returned it, Patrick said he'd call him, but he never got back to me, either. (It's not as if Patrick has nothing else to do--he just accepted the job as chair of the otolarenology* department at the Cleveland Clinic.) Didn't hear back from him, either. Anyway, long story still long: Jim finally responded to my email and said he has the disk. That's fine, I don't need it right now, but I'm wondering if he knew I wanted it back eventually.
I called another Jim--my friend--to thank him for directing me to the ARC thrift store, so I could have my donations picked up. We chatted and he suggested we have lunch at Starbucks tomorrow. Sure thing and it's on my calendar.
Suzanne got back late yesterday and invited me in to see pictures of her nieces' wedding. Very picturesque--at a cornfield in Idaho--and I was glad to see her. This is the one where her brother, a mail-order minister--officiated. Boy, has R.C. changed since I was a girl. 
* I'm too lazy to look it up and the techie boobs at SpellCheck think it's "nanotechnology" or something. 



No comments:

Sunny Sunday

It was sunny in more ways than one. Not only did we enjoy the bountiful and beautiful sunshine, but I spent several sunny hours with my daug...