Saturday, August 22, 2020

My Weight And A Wonder

Got out to T.O.P.S. at the usual 8:30 and had to tell the gang the bad news: The access gates had been open, not to allow workmen to enter, but because there was problem with them. It's been repaired, we residents got new clickers, so they'll no longer be open. That's unfortunate for those who have difficulty walking, although it actually isn't a long way from where they now have to park.
Anyway, I weighed 130.8 at home and 131.5 outside, a gain of .02 from both--or each. I'm not even sure how many ounces that is, but I'm not particularly worried about it.
Had breakfast, then did some food prep: cut several pounds of mushrooms, seasoned and roasted them; cooked a bag of fresh spinach to have ready for dinner; softened a big spaghetti squash in the microwave enough to halve and cook it, then stored it in the fridge. 
Checking my email, I saw one from the library that The Talented Mr. Ripley (the book, not the DVD) had come in and was at the Hill Street branch. I planned to walk there when Ellen called to say she was on her way to school and did I want to have lunch? Absolutely, and she was here in ten minutes. I made a sandwich, packed up my can of Foster Ale and my mug, and met her out in the middle. (Yes, I'm a planner, but she takes precedence over whatever.)
I was interested to hear about her efforts to organize her home classroom; it sounds as if it's shaping up nicely. We sat, ate, and talked, then she left to pick up what she needed at school and I set off for the library branch.
I guess I should have checked ahead because it's closed on Fridays. Oh, well, I'm still only halfway through Shadow Of A Doubt, a courtroom drama (murder, natch). It's just a thriller, but pretty absorbing, so I can wait for Patricia Highsmith. Went from the library down to Victoria, caught the 21 to the transit center and the 6 home from there.
I was pleased to get a video call from Mike, in Singapore. He was actually in his car, driving over to pick up Vivian at her track practice. We chatted, he parked, Vivian got in, and--the wonders of modern science--we three saw and chatted together, though we were more than eighty-five miles apart.
Fifty-two years a wife, eleven years a widow; Pat died on August 22, 2009. Here we are, with first-born, when we were young and healthy:


1 comment:

iloveac said...

I love this picture...such a goodlooking couple on their journey of life.

Sunny Sunday

It was sunny in more ways than one. Not only did we enjoy the bountiful and beautiful sunshine, but I spent several sunny hours with my daug...