Friday, March 20, 2020

Thursday

I had been up until 10:00, so didn't set the alarm, but woke up at 6:30, anyway. Puttered around and gathered up some things to take with me today: warm hat and gloves, a photo album of early family, and a packet of microwave popcorn Mr. K. and his family might want.
Nancy called. She is, of course, not stepping foot outside her door, but that's not too unusual--she doesn't go out much, anyway. We talked about how hard this whole situation is, not only for hourly workers, but for her son and daughter-in-law. Richard owns a printing business--he does lots of posters, tee shirts, and so on--and said he's gotten so many cancelled orders he has enough work for another week and, if things don't pick up, that's it. He will have to dismiss his two employees and close the shop. His wife, Erin, works at an optician's place in Santa Barbara; they're closing after tomorrow. She can get unemployment, but naturally, at a fraction of what she made before.
I think not only of such small business owners, but the parents of many, if not most, of the children in Ellen's third grade are farm workers or have other hourly jobs. How will they survive if they get laid off?  How will they care for their children? 
Speaking of: I was picked up at 12:30 and off we went to Ojai. The company was out on a walk and shortly, Ellen was on a conference call with her colleagues and the principal. The upshot of that was that she must call all her students and instruct them on the on-line substitute for the third-grade classroom. She'll also be at the school today copying materials and otherwise preparing.
The rest of us went to The Farmer and the Cook, a restaurant where I've been several times, to get an onion and a bunch of cilantro. We then took a short walk, went back to El's and played Chutes And Ladders, Uno, and Crazy 8s. Believe it or not, I really enjoy the latter two. I like simple games where you don't have to think and strategist (I do that enough in real life). We had a wonderful time acting like--well, like the darling six-year-old present. In the meantime, Ellen and her sister made a great Mexican dinner, which we all enjoyed.
My friend, Stella, texted me to say the botanic gardens are free on Fridays and Mondays, in case we wanted to go. I suggested it, and yes, indeed, we'll do that today. Unfortunately, Ellen can't, as she has to be at school.
I was taken home about 7:30. Betty called for the second time--some jumbled stuff I can't even begin to fathom--then El called. We chatted for just a bit and agreed that, although it's a shame she can't go to the gardens with us, if this situation hadn't happened, she would have been in school all day.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

I'm the same about games. People keep wanting me to play Bridge. No way. Good Pinochle players keep track of how many trump are still left. I don't want to do that. Cribbage requires basic arithmetic and when I can't add my score correctly my partner Steve was a Math teacher and I trust him to add it.
Like you I could learn to play those other games I just don't want to have to 'think' that much.

Sounds like your having a wonderful time with your family. What a treat for all of you. Thank goodness you're all into walking and hiking...it's the best thing to do now with so many things closed.

This too shall past.

Mimi said...

Thanks, Pat, but not-so-good news: The Botanic Gardens are closed today, as are a number of other places we wanted to visit. Damn. I hope it'll be open sometime during their stay.

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...