Monday, March 16, 2020

Onions And An Ominous Sign

Darn, I didn't set the alarm and I slept until 7:30. After my morning rituals, I didn't get breakfast until 9:00, but so what? I didn't have any pressing appointments.
I'm not sure why I feel better getting up at 6:30, with breakfast at 8:00, but I do. There's no question I'm a creature of habit, but that's okay; as Popeye says, "I yam what I yam."
After the usual, I decided to try to find onions at the 99 Cent store in midtown. The one on Victoria didn't have any, which I think is odd. Yes, I know there's a run on all kinds of things, but onions? Not sure why.
Took the bus and incredibly, that branch didn't have any onions, either. However, wonder of wonders, they had blueberries, which I haven't be able to find elsewhere for the longest. I bought four 6-ounce containers, along with Parmesan cheese and mushrooms. Went to the bus stop, but when I consulted my bus app, I was informed it wouldn't come for twenty minutes. Decided to walk to the transit center, which I did, for at least a mile or a bit more distance. Home, put my things away, then walked over to Von's, still in search of onions. They had them and I got three huge ones, just in case the absence of them continues.
Had lunch, after which Betty called. I asked her if Muckie had been in her wedding and yes, my friend, Pat, was correct. For some reason, I didn't remember that and I didn't recognize her from the pictures. Betty called several more times and we chatted about her wedding.
Ellen called and said the governor of California had "called for" all people over 65 to stay home. Some accounts say he "ordered" this and I'd like to know which is correct. This strikes me as ominous. How will this be enforced? If I try to board the bus, stop in to Von's, take a neighborhood walk, will I be accosted by the police? The national guard? Some kind of special forces with detention powers?  Will people be asked to show proof of age, maybe with the "Real ID"? 
Am I concerned about this?  Damn right I am. 

No comments:

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...