Sunday, March 08, 2020

Holy Spirit High School And The Inmates

Yesterday was overcast, which I always find depressing, and it was the start of the weekend, which often sends me on at least a mild downer, but overall, it was a good day. For some reason, I started looking through my old yearbook--Holy Spirit High School, Class of 1954--and even reading some of it.
That wasn't easy because the religiosity was so overwhelmingly awful, even for a Catholic school. Most of the prose, supposedly written by the student staff, surely came straight from Sister Mary Jane's. The school principal, she was actually a pretty sharp cookie, but the old-time piety, vanished now--at least, I hope it is--sets one's mind to reeling and one's stomach to heaving.
Anyhoo, I noted how many of my classmates are now in the Land Of The Dead and there are a lot of them. But some not only live, but thrive, and I picked up the phone and called Jeanne Dollard Painter. We talk a few times a year and I always enjoy it. She remarked that high school was the most miserable period of her life, which surprised me, since she was so pretty and popular. Of course, I agreed and one of my permanent "I'm grateful for this" is that I finally escaped.
Jeanne has an apartment in Montvale, NJ, but was in Florida with John, her 91-year-old paramour, whom I've met. We had a fun talk and it cheered me up.
I then dialed up (or punched in) Mary Martin Hoffman, who just recently moved into -------- House (I blanked on the name, a low-income residence in Margate, although I've been there), as her sister did, too. They like it a lot and I'm happy for her. We caught up on our lives and that was good.
I then called my Blog-Buddy, Ms. Patricia McHale Rogers, and had a good talk. We read each other's blogs every day and it's fun to recognize names of people I've never met. Pat and I have lots in common, including that aforementioned background, and we agree on a lot of topics. Some we don't, but we're comfortable with that. It was great fun to talk with her.
Yet another battle-scared HSHS survivor called later: sister Betty and she seemed pretty with-it, for a change. I told her I'd be over to see her on Tuesday, but if it rains, may postpone. (And I used to make fun of these Californians, afraid of a little rain!)
Lunched, then set off with my little cart. I walked to Sprout's, then WinCo,  a good three miles and I was glad to get it in. I got fresh tuna- and swordfish steaks at the former and fajitas and several other essential items at WinCo. I then bused to the 99-Cent store for rice cakes, walked part of the way home, hopped a bus, and picked up grapes at Von's.  All that was simple enough, but when you're walking and busing in lieu of driving, it takes a while.
Got home about 5:30 and cut up my mushrooms, divided three pounds of ground turnkey, and stir-fried all with the sweet peppers and onions I had prepared before. Had it for dinner and it was yummy.
Additional note to Patti: Happy day, I slept like a stone last night!


2 comments:

iloveac said...

See, you're back to your 'stone' sleep and that's great. Whatever you did, if anything, worked. Keep doing it.

Morpheus does love you, but sometimes Morpheus is asleep on the job and doesn't get around to everyone.

Mimi said...

Morpheus asleep on the job--funny!

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...