Sunday, March 15, 2020

Water And A Wedding

After soaking my black beans all night, I put them in the crock pot along with chicken broth, chopped onions and seasonings, and left it to cook happily away.
I was rinsing some dishes in the kitchen (cold) water, preparing to take them to the bathroom to wash, --when AAGH!--water came gushing out from under the sink! I had put back the things one keeps under the kitchen sink, including gallon jugs of vinegar and Bona floor cleaner and maybe I jarred open what Gabe had connected on Thursday. Here it is, but this doesn't show the worst of it:
The entire cabinet under the sink was awash, including all the cleaning supplies in it. I called the emergency number for maintenance, Gabe came, fixed it AND added the hot water--don't ask me how or why he couldn't do it before, I don't even want to go there. What's more, he came back in an hour, bringing the new dishwasher. However, he doesn't want to install it until tomorrow, to be sure the back wall is no longer damp.
I did a load of darks in the clothes washer, half worried something would go wrong, but no, they came out fine. The machine still makes a kind of muffled grinding noise, so I called GE and after this and that, was advised to wait and see, as it may just be breaking in--or  something.
I had enough of that nonsense, so I took my cart and walked to the market for veggies, then Wal-Mart, where I got my precious little grandson a "Chutes And Ladders" game. It's meant for much younger children because you don't have to read, but Betty has it and often wants me to play--a sad commentary, I guess, but it's kind of fun.
Speaking of whom, Betty called and we had a good chat. Of course, upmost on her mind was the virus. She said her son, Wes, hadn't been feeling well and he was tested for it. I find that hard to believe, but who knows? Anyway, Wes has put on Facebook some wonderful, beautiful, heart-breaking pictures of Betty's and Wes'es wedding. I love seeing them, but I mourn for all that's lost.
St. James Church, Ventnor, NJ
September 1,1961
l. to r., in back: don't know, G-Tom O'Brien (Wes'es brother-in-law), Wes, Betty, don't know.
In front: my Pat, Marnie Kehoe Campbell, don't  know, Norma Jean Johnson O'Brien (Wes'es sister), yours truly (and my daughter, Alison, who would be born in November), Pat Kennedy Hays, and our brother, Larry Byrne.
O lost, and by the wind grieved/Ghost, come back again.--Thomas Wolfe 


6 comments:

iloveac said...

I was at Betty and Wes' wedding. I was working at ACH with Betty and Marnie at the time. Great photo. Thanks for posting it.

Your kitchen leak sounds awful...hope it's soon remedied for good.

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
I went to Wes' FB page and loved all those photos. It's strange ...I know I was at Betty's reception but I don't remember it being at Capt Starts which is suggested in one of the photos. My memory is falling me. I finally recognized Muckie ...next to Marnie in this photo.

Mimi said...

Pat, I had the same reaction to Wes writing it was at Captain Starn's; I don't think it was, but could be wrong. I think it was off-shore somewhere, but I don't actually remember for sure. I'll check and find out. As for Muckie, I don't think she was in the wedding, but will look at the rest of the pictures. Hey, how about posting some pics of your own wedding? I'd love to see them.

iloveac said...

I didn't have a wedding. Rich and I got married one evening in the church with my best friend and her husband in attendance. Fr. Bob who officiated said it was really a validation. We'd been living together for 9 years.
I'm sure it's Muckie after I looked at the other pictures...ask Betty.

Mimi said...

Pat, you're right--it was Muckie! For some reason, I didn't recognize her. You'll see I put on my next blog entry that you were right. And yes, I called Betty and she confirmed it. However, she didn't remember who the other man was. Turns out it was Frank Ferry, one of Wes'es best friends.
Wow--living together for 9 years--that took some courage in those days!

iloveac said...

Well, I wasn't in my hometown. It was easier to live where no one knew me. It was all good though.

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...