Friday, March 13, 2020

Rain And The Virus

It rained lightly in the morning, during which time I started looking at the crapola in my filing cabinet. I also looked up Greg McClure and was charmed by what I fund out.*
By 11:00, he rain had stopped and I prepared to walk to the 99-Cent Store. That's a bit more than a mile and now I'm so used to it, it seems just a short stroll. I got napkins, an acorn squash, and a few other items, then hopped a bus. I decided while I was riding to continue on to the mall/transit center and see if Target had any blueberries.
They did, but oddly, two packages-one clearly exactly twice as big as the other, were both labelled "6 ounces." Puzzled, I took them to the return desk (clearly, customers are not encouraged to talk to the manager) and questioned the young woman there. She had no idea, but called someone who had no idea, either. I said I'd call the corporate office and she kindly gave me the number. I'll do that today.
Traveled home, and by the time I got there, it was raining again. At that point, I made a startling decision: I resolved to stay in for the rest of the day.
STAY IN!
FOR THE REST OF THE DAY! 
This was unprecedented. But it was coming down pretty good and as ever, dark, gloomy weather makes me feel lonely and sad. Besides, who wants to go out in the rain? So I had lunch, then fussed over a few more filing things, then even lay down, thinking I'd take a nap.  However, I wasn't tired, so got up.  I couldn't stand y to just be there, trying to find things to do! 
The solution? I dug out my boots, got my umbrella, and caught a bus to town. It was very quiet, of course, but I walked to The Promenade to view the ocean. I was surprised to see it wasn't at all rough, with just a few mild waves. Walked back to Main and caught a bus home, my good humor restored. 
I had just gotten out of the shower when niece Carolyn called. We had a good, long talk, mostly about the virus and my son and his family coming from Tokyo. I'm hoping there's not going to be any problem with that.
Later, Ellen called and we talked for almost an hour. I was startled when she told me school will be closed all next week. That means she'll be home while Patrick and family are here, but it's ominous. She said that Greg, advised by his doctor brother, is going to stay with his mother in Santa Barbara for the week; she's 87,  has COPD, and the precaution is probably a good idea. I hope the travel plans will go through.
Note: I forgot to mention that my T.O.P.S. friend, Cheryl, who picks me up every week, told me a wonderful thing about her life: Her stepfather was Greg McClure (not Doug McClure), who had been an actor in Hollywood and, in fact, had starred in the movie, The Great John L, in 1945. I was able to find his bio on the Internet and even the trailer for the movie on YouTube. I was just charmed by this and, since Cheryl has been so nice to take me every week, I want to find the DVD of the movie and give it to her. 

No comments:

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...