Saturday, March 28, 2020

Walking And Filing

Gail got here a bit before 9:00 and we started off over the footbridge, then onto the bike/walking path, which led us to Kimball Park. According to Google Maps, that's a distance of two miles We went around about half the park walk, then back, so totaled at least five, or maybe a bit more than that. Very satisfying, especially since we went in the morning and it was a beautiful day. We agreed to do it again on Monday. I don't think there's a problem with this, virus-wise, as we were out in the open air, didn't touch each other, and left some space in between. Also, more significant or not, neither of us was coughing or sneezing.
I called Suzanne Nextdoor just to see how she was doing and we had a good talk. Walked over to Von's for romaine, zucchini, and a nice, plump turnip (haven't had one for ages). I noticed that my cashier had gloves and a mask on, the bagger just gloves. When I asked the cashier if management had given them out, I was told no, their union had provided the gloves and it was her own mask. It's incredible, it seems to me, that there and at Wal-Mart--and, presumably, at many other places--management isn't providing gloves and masks to their employees. Boggles the mind.
I ran into one of my old walking Kimball buddies,
Called Ellen after lunch and we chatted. She suggested that those I used to meet for either happy hour or lunch (actually, just Nancy and Carolyn B.) might set up Zoom and "get together" virtually. Actually, that's not a bad idea; we could each pour ourselves a glass of wine (in Nancy's case), beer (in mine), or a fancy mixed drink (Carolyn). Only problem is, I don't know how to zoom and I doubt if the two do, either. However, I think I'll pursue it.
Finally heard back from Bianca and sent her my selection for the new filing cabinet. However, the company--not the apartment owners, but LEK, which installed the washer and dryer--have to order it, bring it in and take out the old one. The problem is, they aren't working until, Bianca said, mid April or the end of April. Damn, that means I'll have the files still piled on and under the chair all that time. However, I acquiesced and will just have to live with it.
Speaking of filing--income tax! I know the deadline's extended, but I don't want it hanging over my head until July. I must steel myself, gather the rest of the info to Michelle soon.

6 comments:

iloveac said...

I've been trying to use Zoom but have gotten too frustrated. Those with it say it's easy so I must be doing something wrong. My DiL invited me to a Zoom meeting and I could only see half of her. Our IT guy told me about something called google duo saying it was easier. Hope you have good luck with one of them.
BTW, you are perfectly OK walking outside, keeping distance etc. In fact going for a walk is encouraged. The virus isn't in the air. Someone sneezing etc can cause it to be breathed by you ...if you are in close contact. If they have the virus (and sometimes they don't know they have it for several days before symptoms appear) and they touch something they can transmit it.

Socialization is so important...so try zoom...maybe I can join one of your sessions if you get it going and I learn how to get in.

Mimi said...

Pat, it looks as if I got into Zoom successfully, but I'm not so sure whether it will come to pass for virtual Happy Hour. I haven't yet gotten in touch with Nancy and Carolyn and am not sure if 1. they both want to do this and 2. if they'll know how. I'm now waiting for a call-back from Ellen to see if Zoom works.
Also--can't you get in touch with Lissa via Skype or Facetime? For just two people, why would you need Zoom?
BTW, I may have been able to easily get into it because I've been on it before, when I was in Toastmasters. At least,I think it was Zoom; about ten of us were able to see each other and conduct a virtual meeting. I'm not sure it was Zoom, though--maybe a different system.

iloveac said...

Sounds like you were on Zoom. I want it for a few of us here to be on and see each other while we enjoy diner etc. Lissa and I message thru FB. I have FaceTime too for just two people. I wasn't crazy about Skype.

Mimi said...

Pat, I'm curious. I realize you and your table mates wouldn't be sitting at the same table, but if you and others wanted to, could you eat in the dining room, say, sitting across from each other or at separate tables? (How's that for a run-on sentence?)

iloveac said...

RBM,
No, the dining room is closed as is the seating area in the Atrium (cafe). Sitting across from someone would be less than 6 ft which is the allowed limit.

Mimi said...

But aren't you closer than that in the gym or when doing some activity together?

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...