Sunday, April 01, 2018

Easter

Fog over Kimball still, but it was warmer.  Home and the usual.
Called Betty after breakfast. She's having a lot of problems with this and that, including her mobile phone, which is kaput. She's waiting for a new one, but for some reason, it's taking a long time to come. She can get calls on her landline, but can't make long-distance ones on it Aside from all that, she's got two law suits coming up, plus a variety of other problems. She asked me to call her children and ask them to call her on the landline, which I did. I'm worried about her and wish I could help in some concrete way.
Walked to Von's on the next block for an item, then elsewhere for fruit. When I got back, I found three large, beautiful chocolate-covered strawberries and a note at my door. Of course, they were from my wonderful next-door neighbor, Suzanne (I'm glad not to call her "Sister Suzanne," as I think that would put a barrier between us).  Of course, I rang her bell immediately to thank her. There are a group of Mercy Sisters who live together near here and she'll be enjoying Easter with them. Walked over to
Called Nancy to see if she wanted to go to the museum next Sunday to see a documentary on the New York Public Library. Yes, she did and we'll meet there. However, she said she'd have to cut down on our Tuesday outings for financial reasons. Nancy's sole income consists of Social Security and she just has to tighten her belt a bit.  Okay, I can adjust.
Decided to do a wash, although I rarely do on weekends; those who work should have precedence over this retiree, I think. However, one washer in the laundry place wasn't being used, so I grabbed it. By the time I retreived the dry clothes, it was 3:30 when I drove to town anyway.
The Champagne Festival was going strong--lots of crowds, music, and vendor booths. I reversed my usual route and parked at the library, then walked to the museum.  Very festive. Bought some mild salsa from a local maker.
El called after I got home to discuss hard-boiled eggs (ha!), then I chopped onions, peppers, and mushrooms to stir-fry with ground turkey. Yummy.


2 comments:

iloveac said...

The Daughters of Wisdom out of Long Island (with whom I had contact in Virginia Beach) did not use the honorifics 'Sister' believing as you said a barrier would block communication. It was refreshing and allowed for 'real' talk. I notice the Episcopalian priests in this retirement community sparingly use the title 'Father'. The Catholic church still wants us to use the honorific for priests, but may call them by their first name...e.g. Fr.Bob. They can't drop the whole thing yet and it does create a barrier with Catholic priests.

So sorry to hear about Betty. It so difficult for a family to do much unless the person is willing to let them help. So often the loved family member doesn't believe they need help and then an untoward event happens which may have been intercepted. This is a difficult time for all. As far as what you can do...letting her know you care by calling regularly is concrete.

Mimi said...

Thanks, Pat. As noted in my post today, Betty's daughter-in-law called me yesterday and we had a long talk.

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...