Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Homicide And Sizzler

If I should suddenly drop out of sight, I'll probably have been incarcerated for murdering my car mechanic. However, I wouldn't be in the slammer long, as I'd be found innocent on the grounds of justifiable homicide.
Got home from walking Kimball before 8:00, had breakfast, and got to Rob's Remedies at the appointed time of 9:00. Rob was to change my air filter, which he should have done the other day, but took so damn long with other things that I didn't want to wait. This took him only a few minutes--happy day--but he then started digging under the glove compartment. I had no idea he'd do anything else and finally asked him what gives. He said the other filter for the A.C. needed to be checked and, yes, it was filthy, what with the fires, ash, and so on.
Now 1.) I didn't know he was going to do this; 2.) it took him an age to get it out and the new one in; 3.) he stopped working every once in a while to sit down with me on the bench and chat.  He's a nice enough guy, but hey, I don't need my mechanic to be a pal! When I go to Pep Boys, they may charge more, but I don't have  to discuss world affairs with them.
While I was waiting, I called Nancy just for something to do. She leaves on her month-long trip (east coast and a cruise) in two weeks and will be gone the whole month of May. We agreed to meet next week--I want to take her to lunch as a bon voyage present. Betty called and I called her back when I finally got home. I still had to cut up lettuce and other salad fixings for my park lunch with Diane. Did so, changed, and set off for town.
Whew, was it windy! Mission Park, where we were to meet. is a large, mainly open space, so the blast whistled through at high speed. Diane got there shortly after I did and we found a reasonably protected area. I had packed a salad and a small bottle of Chardonnay--I know it's illegal in the park, but I like to live dangerously--and enjoyed it while we talked.
Diane is into Buddhism and was going to deliver a talk last evening in her Darma(?) group. She asked if she could question me on some things that actors do to prepare for a performance. I was happy to oblige and she wrote down key points.  Among other items, I told her I always formulate a back story for the character I'm playing and she was very interested in that. Walked Diane back to her place on Main Street, which is two blocks from the library, then continued on my way there. Read more of Roz Chast's book, then back to my car at the museum.
Decided to revert to my tangerine dinner for the widder dinner, so packed five of them, and went to Sizzler at 6:00. There was a nice group there, seven regulars and a new guy named Greg, only about 50, I'd say,  whose wife died just two weeks ago. I gave Vera a big hug; she's just back from the Dominican Republic, where she went with her two teenage children on a church-sponsored trip to help people build something.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...