Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Michael's And A Newcomer

Started out to go to Michael's about 10:30, just as Suzanne was coming out. I told her about Sharon R., who's in my T.O.P.S. group and also in the diabetes support group Suzanne facilitates at St. John's. We commiserated about Sharon's problems: she's grossly overweight (probably is over 300 pounds) and needs a knee operation, but they won't operate until she loses a hundred pounds. Her bad knee makes it very difficult for her to exercise, so it's a vicious cycle.
Got two of the four frames I need from Michael's; these are for my children's caricatures, now incredibly, 46 years old. I have 40 percent off coupons, but the snotty cashier said I could only use one a day. He finally let me use two, but I'll have to go back for the others. What a drag.
Went from there into town and hit a few thrift stores. Got another decorative leaf--this in metal--that I envision will look good on my new coffee table. Of course, I don't have it yet--stopped at Sofas, Etc., but I don't know how I'll be able to get it home.
I had bought chicken thighs and drumsticks and prepared as usual with coconut oil and lemon pepper, then popped them in the oven. I had already had Caesar salad for lunch, so reserved two pieces for today and froze the rest.
Spent a lot of time finally, at long last, finishing up the attendance sheet for Soaring Spirits. Made copies and took them to widder dinner at 6:00. Twelve people were there (it always varies), including a newcomer named Gary, who proved to be a great addition. He's a big, burly guy about sixty, is--I think--some kind of social worker, has an MSW, and lost his husband of 43 years six months ago.
As far as I know, this is the first gay person we've had and he wowed us all. He's about the most open, jovial, fun guy imaginable, the polar opposite of some of our mousy, ready for the grave types (although in truth, we don't have many of those). I had ordered an "appetizer combo," a large pile of string beans, onion rings, chicken "fingers" (I didn't realize chickens had hands, let alone fingers), and mozzarella sticks, all breaded, deep-fried, and--as everything at Marie Callender's is--barely edible. For some mysterious reason, I was served long before everybody else, although I had made it clear I considered this my entree and I invited my companions to help themselves, which many did. Gary reached over Vera and grabbed some onion rings while complaining loudly that he was the new guy, Vera should be concentrating on him exclusively, for that matter, so should the rest of us, and so on. Vera retorted she would have been more attentive, but was afraid his sexual orientation would rub off. Funny! This kind of back and forth went on through the meal and we greatly enjoyed it.
I was curious about how Chuck and Pam would respond. They are fundamentalist Christians with a capital J for Judgmental (last night, Chuck even held forth on the evils of liberalism), but as far as I could see, they seemed unfazed and even joined in the banter now and again.
Anyway, it was a fun night, notwithstanding the lousy food, abysmal service, and mix-up with several orders, and I greatly enjoyed it.

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...