Monday, January 30, 2017

Into Town

Some time ago, I determined that I wouldn't stay in if I could possibly avoid it, even when it's not always pleasant to go out. It might be raining or chillier than comfortable, or whatever, but invariably, I go out at least for a time. I try to stay out at least until 4:00. I don't just aimlessly wonder around, but plan to go somewhere. I also make sure to walk, even though I almost always drive someplace first.
Yesterday, it was so gorgeous, I had no problem at all with going out. After my usual Sunday morning routine, a few household chores, and lunch (the rest of the yummy Greek dinner), I decided to drive into town and visit my usual haunts.
It was a beautiful, quintessentially California day--the sun smiling above, temp about 73 with no humidity, blue skies, a light breeze, and happy crowds on Main Street. The restaurants were doing a booming business, as were the little shops, and I strolled into lots of them. I bought myself yet another little flowered box, this in the shape of a heart, and stopped in one of my favorite used book stores, The Calico Cat.
There I found Talk To The Hand, by Lynne Truss, who wrote Eats, Shoots & Leaves on punctuation, one of my pet interests. The subtitle of this one is "The Utter Bloody Rudeness of the World Today, or Six Good Reasons to Stay Home and Bolt the Door." Could I possibly resist such an anti-Pollyannaish, schizoid, maladaptive title? New, it had been $20, but was marked $7.95 used. I offered five bucks, we settled on six, and I'm looking forward to reading it.
I probably walked around two miles total, a good amount. Left Town, got gas, went to Wal-Mart for my omewhateveritis (for acid) and a few other places for little Valentine presents for V. and V. and other this and that. By the time I got home, it was indeed after 4:00--in fact, almost 5:00, which pleased me.

No comments:

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...