Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Widder Lunch

Went to the bank to deposit the mysterious $64 check Primary Medical had sent me. (I assume it's legit and didn't bother to call.) Went from there to the widder lunch at Marie Callender's, right down the street.
There was a big crowd yesterday; in fact, when I got there (a little late), we were being moved into a larger room. There must have 25 of us, at least, including most of the regulars. This is the first time we've met here, rather than at Yolanda's, which is being renovated. I sat next to my friend, Nancy, and across from Chris, who volunteers at the Adult Center. She and I had a nice chat; I learned that her husband was 37 when he died of a heart attack four years ago. There was no warning of any kind and he left Chris, a four-year-old daughter and a one-year-old son. Ouch.
Chris said she had just moved to a three-bedroom apartment at Todd Ranch and that she works only part-time, but will not work in the summer while the kids are out of school. Presumably, she's financially secure. She said that her little girl, Dominique, now nine, was going to be collecting for "Comfort Camp," a camp for children who had lost a parent or other family member. When I found it it was at the Urban Cafe, which is right across Telephone Road from me, I said I'd stop over.
Nancy, Joyce, and I sat talking long after the others had left, but we finally broke up. I went directly to WinCo after, then to the library. Stopped at the Urbane Cafe and talked to Chris and her adorable children, Dominique, 9, and Donte, 5 (their father was French). I didn't get home until almost 6:00, chopped and stir-fried my favorite dish, and settled in for the night.

No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...