Thursday, June 16, 2016

Stuff

Attended the monthly Council for Seniors meeting at 9:30 and met Doris there. The program was interesting and was presented by four EMTs. Boy, talk about eye candy; they were all tall, toned, and terrifically handsome. (Ah, to be fifty years younger. Okay, sixty.) They split us up into groups of four and taught us how to do "hands only CPR" on a rubbery torso with a foam head. Our guy demonstrated, then we each took a turn. He said it would be easier on the floor, but I knew I'd never be able to get up if I did it there. Two of our group did, the other one and I had the dummy on a chair. How to position your hands and fingers was demonstrated and whew, it isn't nearly as easy as it looks. To be effective, you had to hear a clicking noise when you were rhythmically pushing and it took me several tries and a lot of energy to do it. We were told we should keep it up (in a real situation, that is) for at least a hundred counts a minute and after six minutes is about when, if there's no response, the effort is futile. All I can say is, if anybody collapses near me, they're going to need a lot of luck.
Got home about 11:00 and made a large and varied salad, as well as a slow cooker concoction of frozen spinach, adding fresh carrots and shallots. Let that simmer while I went to try to find rechargable AAA batteries for one of the landline instruments. After visiting three other stores, I finally did at WinCo.
Kept my follow-up appointment art 2:00 with the colonoscopy doc and was pleased to be told my blood work was good, including the hemoglobin count, now 12.7--a little better than 5, I guess. Went from there to the library, as I had gotten an e-mail message that the book I requested was in. However, it wasn't on the "hold" shelf, nor was it anywhere else the librarian could find. She apologized and said I'd now be put first on the list. This is a new book by Clint Hill, the secret service agent who covered Mrs. Kennedy in Dallas. I already read his account of that day; this is a new one covering five presidents. Well, I'll have to wait.
Slept like the dea--uh, a log last night, I'm happy to note, as the night before I tossed and turned and woke up groggy. Via e-mail, I got a message from Facebook that I had missed 90 notifications plus other stuff from "friends," but I don't care, I'm not going back in. I did respond to a private message from Marge's DIL. Also got a PM from Carole Wimberg C., who lives in Dana Point, asking me to get in touch so we can get together. Will do.
Now I'm off to the park to do my mile and a quarter (ugh!), the habit of which I want to resume.*
*An awkward sentence? Yes, Sister Gabriel, but linguistically I believe it is accurate.

No comments:

Monday

Set off for the mall and Target at 10:30. I got some staples (plant milk, blueberries, grapefruit, etc.), but decided to hold off buying the...