Friday, June 03, 2016

Meatloaf and Memory

Spent the morning changing the bed and on other domestic chores, plus dealing with bills. Kept my 1:30 appointment with Quest and got the blood drawn (for the colon guy if I remember correctly). Anna D. called and after rambling on seemingly forever about her various enterprises--she owns a house in Ft. Lauderdale she's having renovated so she can rent it; she's appearing at the Elite Theatre in Oxnard in a few weeks; she's blah, blah, blah--she got down to cases: She desperately needs money and called to see if I know of any part-time jobs she could fill. Well, hardly. However, I told her if one popped up, I'd keep her in mind. Betty called and while we were talking, Mookie came in, as they had a lunch date. I was put on speaker and enjoyed talking to her, too.
After lunch, I finally made the lower-calorie meatloaf for which I had cut the recipe out of the paper. This is made with ground turkey, salsa, garlic, breadcrumbs, and parsley. Popped it in the oven and had an early dinner of that, plus sweet potatoes. A lot of faux dishes are terrible--I'd rather not eat them at all--but the meatloaf was delicious--moist, but not falling apart, and very flavorful. I'll have more of it today and maybe freeze what's left.
At 6:00, I went to a dementia seminar at Bonaventure (a memory care facility). The speaker was the medical director of a home care outfit. He was personable and I learned a few things, but not much. He presented the usual: the various items that have been suspected of causing it, such as aluminium; the converse, i.e., things that have had their vogue in treating it, notably turmeric and other herbs; and recommendations for healthy living (exercise, mind games, etc). The latter is what made me raise my hand and ask if all that isn't mere speculation that may or may not have any bearing on the disease. Is there any hard-and-fast evidence that this does any good, or is it more of a "it may not help, but can't hurt" type of wishful thinking? Doc equivocated a bit, but admitted there isn't much that's absolute when it comes to--say, Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia. Certainly, nothing has worked in preventing it. Also (this is my two cents), maybe some medications might slow its progress, but how can that be measured, since--as he emphasized--no two cases are exactly alike?
Anyway, skeptical though I am, I found it mildly interesting. Didn't get home until after 8:00, so got my shower late, but slept well.

No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...