Thursday, June 11, 2015

Varied and Interesting

Had a interesting, varied day. After the preparing of the greens, as recorded yesterday, and stopping at my friend, Claire's, I went back to the library to check a few things. Saw Frank Next-Door, who happens to be secretary of Friends of the Little Egg Library, and he surprised and pleased me by saying he and Barb want to have a pizza and beer party to bid me goodbye. He sent out an e-mail to "the inner circle," as I always called them: the four couples on my side of the street to whom I'm closest. He did not invite Susan and Walter and some day, when I have an hour to pick and choose my words, I'll explain why. And explain why I'm fine with it.
My friend called to say she would hook up my newly-restored computer on Friday. However, she's very busy what with the rehearsal dinner on Saturday and the wedding on Sunday, so I suggested she postpone until next week. After all, I have the ever-accommodating library and my tablet to rely on, so I can wait.
As I was driving home, got a call from Jeanne P., formerly Dollard, and we chatted a bit. Later in the day, I showered, changed, and went back to the library to pick up Aline for dinner with the crazies. A. gets off at five, but I asked if she could leave fifteen early, as we were going to Chibon(?), a Chinese buffet in Manahawkin. No problem with that and we got to the place while the rest were just having appetizers.
There were only two other couples last night: Judy and Roman, and Barbara and Bob. Latter are getting hitched on June 19, the same day as the pizza and beer party for me. However, I have no idea if Aline and I are invited. Bob extended an oral invitation to us last week, but at that time, the big day was scheduled for June 30. On our way home, A. and I agreed we really don't care one way or the other. Barbara is amusing at times, but also pathetic and truly nutty: "Barbara Streisand took my role in (some movie or other) and her son is eating out of garbage cans." (Don't even ask.) Barbara was a big star in Hollywood, also on stage and television, and people were constantly clamoring for her autograph. Why we in Little Egg never heard of this sixtyish, tubby, too-blonde, heavy drinker is a mystery.
But in truth, I had a great time. Bob brought both red and white wine and Judy was in rare form. I've been in several other lunch and dinner groups (still am), plus of course, I see Susan every day. The people involved tend to look down their tight, tense, supremely sedate, and deadly boring noses at Judy and company. I can play a role and fit in with those upstanding citizens, but oh, my real spiritual home is with the crazies.

No comments:

Tuesday

Sent a welcome e-mail to my new tenants, mother and daughter, Laura and Prudence. I must remember to check to see if I need to send anything...