Monday, June 08, 2015

Concert in Beach Haven

Another fun excursion: Picked Aline up at 12:30 and we zipped down to LBI on a perfect, sun-drenched spring day. Lunched on the porch at Buckalew's. We had plenty of time to spare, so drove down to Holgate at the end of the island. The ocean rolled into the glittering white sand, little children played on the beach, and seagulls soared above. Could there be any more satisfying way to enjoy the earth? We sat on one of the conveniently placed benches for a half hour or ao, then set off for the "Te Deum" concert by the Trenton Capital Singers at Holy Innocents Church in Beach Haven.
It was simply magnificent. Brent B., my friend's brother-in-law, had two solos, and sounded like an angel--not a cherub, but the avenging, St. Michael, kind. What came after was another treat: what the minister called "a reception," to which both singers and audience were invited.
Having attended other Protestant affairs, I expected trays of cookies and maybe iced tea and coffee. Was I happily mistaken! Not only was there a delicious spread of cheeses, fruits, and sauces, but there were two varieties of sliders (I had the pulled pork and Cole slaw and, oh, mama, was that good) and--incredibly--a big metal tub of ice on which nestled plump and shiny oysters on the half shell!
But that wasn't all. The real piece de' resistance was a table manned by two jovial gentlemen in white aprons. On that table stood Yuengling, Bud, Chardonnay, Merlot, and their companions in spirited libation, along with, of course, several kinds of soft drinks. I downed a beer, marveling at the offerings from these anything-but-austere church people. When we were ready to go, we thanked the minister and I couldn't resist adding, "Gee, is this a Protestant church? I can't believe you serve booze." He smiled and said, "Actually, Episcopalians are Catholics, just not Roman Catholics." Oh-h-h...
Anyway, regardless of which denomination, it was a fine day. It was made even better when I was able to get Ellen on Skype on my tablet. I took it into other rooms so she could see how spiffy it looks. Couldn't do that with the desktop--but that doesn't mean I don't want it back.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...