Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Farm and Storm

It was a "Nature rules" day, that's a cinch.
Went with Aline to breakfast, first at Dynasty.  We were surprised and annoyed that they've changed the menu--now, the only breakfast "special" is a $4.99 egg and bacon that doesn't even include coffee.  Well, the hell with that stuff, we agreed, and we got up and left.
Went to Dockside where we enjoyed their special of omelet, hash browns, toast, and coffee, all for $3.99.  Of course, we went down to view the water after, then I dropped A. off. Home, I went on the computer only to be told I had no Internet connection.
Damnation!  Could my little dearie be sick again?  I didn't wait around to find out, but got in the car and drove the forty miles or so to the farm.  Got beets, lettuce, chard, garlic scapes, Chinese cabbage, and kale in the barn.  I decided to skip the green beans in the field, as it was 94 degrees and I'm not a big fan of them, anyway, so off I went.  Stopped at Whiting to get Chardonnay and some groceries before driving home. I was happy to discover my 'puter was all well again, the problem being Comcast's.
Later, there was a terrific storm.  I had gone to the library, then the gas station where I was when it suddenly descended.  I say "suddenly" although:  Yes, yes, it was covered with breathless idiocy by the media, but I'll be damned if I'll join the bug-eyed doomsday crowd, so was only dimly aware.  (Since I couldn't do anything about it and didn't need to make any special plans, why in the world would I "follow" such "news"?)  It was hairy getting the scant mile home; I thought whole trees would come down and had to swerve around whole tree limbs. I did, though, and all was well until--the electricity went out.
I wonder if there's anything in the world I cherish more than electricity.  Well, maybe my family--but I'm not absolutely, positively sure about that...
Kidding, of course. Nevertheless, I suffer--suffer, I tell you--when the lights go out and the dishwasher stops, and I can't do much of anything.  I did start reading Girl Gone on my tablet, but still, I was miserable for two hours until the power went on again and brought life back to my home.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...