Monday, June 22, 2015

Red Barn and Stuff

Jeff, of Red Barn Antiques, called to say he was on the way, and I was astounded when he actually arrived as promised.
He turned out to be a very nice guy--I'd say late sixties, tall, well-built, articulate and with a nice sense of humor.  He bought both my mirror and my sampler for a good price and, considering they had cost me eight dollars and twenty dollars respectively, I made out like a bandit.
My friend, who had sold him some items last year, came while he was here, then I left to guide him over to Claire's.  As I knew he would be, he was wowed at her collections--Early American furniture, paintings, platters, other china, as well as her decoys and dolls, all in pristine condition.  I bowed out and left them to discuss how she'll disperse them; she wants to move into Wesley Manor in a year or so.  Claire called me later to thank for me for introducing him.
My friend and I continued packing and throwing out until she left about 3:30, at which point I knocked off myself.  Drove to Manahawkin just to clear my head and pick up a few items. Decided to call Tom back and see if he'll spring for a few more items, as I'm determined to cut the moving company expense to four thou or under.
I'm meeting my cousin, John, in Philly today.
   

3 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...

You should definitely sell something to Tom. If I were in New Jersey, I'd make sure I did some business with Fugeddaboutit. Just because of the name. It seems obligatory, somehow.

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
When I moved here from Virginia Beach 2 years ago Bekins cost just under 4K and I had scaled down quite a bit. I did have them pack everything so maybe that added to the cost.

Mimi said...

Yes, Pat, 8 was the Bekins "they pack everything" price, but I don't even like the 6 plus when they don't. I realize it's a lot closer to go from Va to NJ, but I intend to negotiate--also scale down.

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...