Saturday, May 11, 2019

T.O.P.S. And A Tantrum

I set off for Trinity Lutheran at about 8:10, thinking I'd catch a bus. However, it didn't come for several minutes, so I started walking.  I was about halfway there when a bus passed, then another, but I was between stops. No prob, I just continued on and walked all the way (it's just two miles from my place to Trinity Lutheran).
--B*R*E*A*K. There's a big rant below about my T.O.P.S. colleagues, but it  may be a bore for       the casual reader (unlike my utterly fascinating daily doings--ha!),  so I put it below.--
I was pleased to weigh in at 129.7, having lost a pound. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the result of my extra walking, but who knows? Walked to the bus stop, then another three blocks before I boarded one. Didn't get breakfast until 10, but that's better than later.
Finally got out to the garden. I moved two plants to other places, mixed coffee grounds in with the soil, and watered. While I was outside, Suzanne came out to her patio in her robe and we chatted. I'll be taking her to the Sheraton to get the shuttle to LAX on Monday at 5:55 am.
Betty called--actually, we called back and forth four times, discussing a picture on Facebook. She sounded pretty good until she mentioned how Microsoft is threatening her.
After lunch, I hopped a bus, then another to Community Hospital to an Alzheimer caregiver gathering at Community Hospital. There were eight people (one man) around a big table in the eighth floor board room--spectacular views, by the way--who talked about their experiences; most still had their husbands/parents/wife at home. Although I'm not a caregiver, I was welcomed cordially and for some reason, I felt better after.
Walked the short distance to a nearby store I like and got produce, then took the bus to the transit center. Got off that one and onto another I thought was a 10, which stops right in front of my place. I had to wait twenty minutes for it to start and when it did, it turned out to be a 16 and turned toward town. Darn, but it was no biggie; I just walked up to the library and got another bus back.
Stopped at Von's for yogurt and Parmesan cheese. 
Now it's been more than a week since I've driven, but I'm going to today.  Since I'll be driving Suzanne soon, I want to get back into it.
                                                            xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
When I walked in, Cheryl asked if I was driving yet; I said no, I had walked. Well, you would think I had told them I had crawled on my hands and knees from L.A.!  Everybody in the room looked horrified and expressed great consternation. Three people said they'd drive me home, but I refused, as I had no intention of staying after I got weighed. (Why in the hell anyone in a weight loss organization would want to hear somebody read about scams, which was the second half of Luisa's "program," I can't imagine. I didn't actually say it in those words, but I indicated that was the reason I was leaving.) What gets me is that rarely do any of these people lose weight; never do they keep it off. There are a few, I know, such as Sharon, who is very heavy and has diabetes and bad knees; and Cheryl, who was in an accident years ago and wears braces on her legs, who are unable to walk more than short distances. The others? They could start walking or do any other kind of consistent exercise. Many of them wear Fit-bits, which seems to me one of the biggest ripoffs organized commerce ever pulled off.  Those who "count steps" labor under the delusion they're being active and healthy when they have a certain number recorded.  Yet, the idea of simply walking a mile or two they regard as outlandish; judging by the horror they expressed yesterday, they seem to believe it's somehow unnatural and harmful.
Okay, rant over and I'll get back to T.O.P.S. next week.

No comments:

Sunny Sunday

It was sunny in more ways than one. Not only did we enjoy the bountiful and beautiful sunshine, but I spent several sunny hours with my daug...