Tuesday, May 07, 2019

Widder Group Lunch

Skipped the morning walk, had breakfast late, did the crossword, then moseyed around for a bit. Called the Access Van to pick me up this morning for my 7:15 doctor appointment. I was told they'll be here between 6:09 and 6:30. Okay, I'm reconciled to possibly having to wait around when I go somewhere. I'll take the bus home.
Showered and dressed for the widder lunch and set off at 11:00. Instead of taking the bus, I walked down Victoria to Telephone (1.5 miles), then caught a bus the scant mile to the B & N shopping center. I was so early I stopped into Sprouts to see if they had anything I wanted. They didn't.
Continued on to Stone File Grille and, although it was still a little before noon, Vera, Gayle, Greg, and Susan were already there. I ordered my usual roasted cauliflower and Chief Peak, and settled in with one of my tribes.*
Carolyn came soon after, but Nancy didn't; nor did Stella, whom I had invited over the weekend. A newcomer, Sydney, whose husband had died of cirrhosis of the liver due to alcoholism, joined us.  What a lovely person: young, pretty, very sweet; he died four years ago, when their children were 3 and 6--damn, that's unfortunate. Anyway, she said her therapist had recommended our group. She, Carolyn, Susan, Gayle, and I talked together openly and honestly. Carolyn's and Susan's husbands had both taken their own lives with guns, Gayle's and mine were ill for many years. Others lost their spouses or partners through accidents, but we all share a sorrow and it's good to be with them. The other Susan, the obnoxious one, came late and corralled me at the silverware station to rattle on about herself, her book, her blog, and other boring topics. Luckily, the seat next to me was taken, so she sat a distance away. A few of us lingered to talk (others had to get back to work), but we eventually said goodbye until we meet for dinner in two weeks.
I was going to go into town, but decided not. Amanda is coming at 5:30 today to clean up my laptop and I wanted to get the hard floors done. I doubt very much if she would notice or care, but they needed to be done, anyway. Did so, took all the area rugs to the wash place, and threw in my gardening gloves. I never put these things in the dryer, but spread them on the patio to dry; will put them back on the floors when I get home.
* We were talking about our "tribes" the other day at Happy Hour. Nancy said her tribe was the knitting club in which she so involved. I have the tribe I mentioned above and it occurred to me that I have another tribe: the bus riders. I know many can't afford a car, some have a disability, and there are other reasons, but there we are, united in some unknowable way, moving together inside a steel shell.
This is my fifth day without driving.

5 comments:

iloveac said...

" united in some unknowable way, moving together inside a steel shell." I love it!! And that lady who went on and must live here during the week. If you find a way to leave this kind of person...please, please let me know. Short of lying or hurting their feelings I cringe. I'm leaning toward lying.

About the hardwood floors...what do you use? I just used the new Swiffer for wood floors and it cleaned, but no shine. In fact, I think it left a film. What works for you?

Mimi said...

Pat, I use Bona for the hard floors. BTW, in my house, they're wood, but here, they're some kind of vinyl, but the Bona container (a spray) says it's good for wood floors. I first bought Bona in a kind of kit, which includes a long-handled instrument on which you velcro first, a dusting head, then a kind of scrubber. I find that the whole Bona operation gets fast and excellent results.
As for that lady you mentioned: I'm mystified. Who do you mean? Did I write about her today or when? Please fill me in!

iloveac said...

The one who came late and "corralled me at the silverware station to rattle on about herself, her book etc."
I run into these bores more often than I want. It amazes me that so many people mostly women do not watch for clues to see if you're interested in their fabulous lives. Egotist to a 't'.

Mimi said...

Oh, THAT one. That's the other Susan, the PITA one, and believe me, Pat, I haven't yet found the magic exit strategy from her, although I keep trying. (The first Susan is co-leader of the group and often travels to South America to do missionary work.) The PITA has written two books (certainly self-published) and has a blog, both of which she never fails to mention every time you see her. She also comes across as being petty, jealous, and self-promoting. This is typical: When I was doing the Acting for Amateurs thing, I ran into her at the supermarket. I mentioned she might like to come to our little show, which was happening a few days later. Her response: "Oh, no, my husband and I used to go into L.A. for all the best productions. I wouldn't be interested in something like that." As for when I saw her on Monday and other times, I just keep nodding and edging away and she finally shut up and sat down. It also helps to glance away from her fairly often, while murmuring uh-huhs. But if it happens again--and it will--I think I'll stick a fork in her eye.

iloveac said...

I know exactly how you feel.

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...