Monday, May 06, 2019

Cinco de Mayo

Another day that turned out to be busy and fun. Just took a short neighborhood walk at 7:00; on the way back, I went through Von's. There's a Starbucks in the store and I saw a small bin with a sign: "Free coffee for your garden." I had seen this before and thought I'd bring a container and ladle or something, but I looked in and saw a large, neatly wrapped bag; asked the server if I could have it, she said "sure," and off I went with about ten pounds of coffee grounds. On the bag, it said it's good for nitrate-loving plants, so I'll look and see which of mine will benefit.
Finally got a pile of papers filed and did a few other household chores. Had lunch a little early (12:30), put my three library books to return (I'm still sloggin through the Rock Hudson bio) in my nylon bag, and took off for town. Dropped off the books and walked to The Promenade.
Since it was a nice Sunday (mostly sunny and reasonably warm, although not warm enough for sun-loving me), there were lots of people happily walking by the ocean. There were even a few in the water--good grief, it must have been frigid--and of course, plenty of surfers.
As I walked up to the Crown Plaza, I heard and saw lots of people on their viranda--it was the Cinco de Mayo celebration! I had suggested to Diane we go, but she didn't pick up on it and I forgot about it, but here it was. However, I was by myself and didn't want to attend alone.
I thought of Stella and impulsively called her. Darned if she wasn't at the museum and said she'd walk right down. She did, we went in, and had a fine time. There was a roving mariachi playing and singing all kinds of Mexican songs; the accordian player and guitarist were identical twins! I think the other two may have been their father and grandfather.
Anyway, they came to our table and asked what we'd like to  hear. Stella responded, of course, as she's Latino and speaks Spanish and they played her song.
This made her cry because she and her Arthur used to like it (although Arthur wasn't Latino). She apologized, but I assured her she had no reason to--it's all right to cry because your husband died, and it's been less than a year for her.
I had not one, but two Margaritas--yum, they were good--and we had chips and salsa gratis. There was an all-you-could-eat taco bar for only twelve bucks, but we had each had lunch, so we skipped that. We finally left and walked up to the library together, then parted and Stella got her car, which was parked at the mission (she goes to mass there) while I caught the bus.
Instead of going straight home, I disembarked at the mall, went to Target to use the restroom and buy blueberries, then hopped a number 6 and rode down Victoria. Got off and went to the store for grapes and rice cakes, then bussed back. Called El, who has a bad cold and had called in sick for today--good. Got in just at 7:00--I love daylight saving time!--and settled down for the night.
This is my fourth full day not driving. 
(Good grief, I slept until 7:10 this morning! I may want to adjust my usual schedule.)

No comments:

Sunny Sunday

It was sunny in more ways than one. Not only did we enjoy the bountiful and beautiful sunshine, but I spent several sunny hours with my daug...