Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Sedona

Did I write "Sardona" or something before? Yes, I did, but of course, it's Sedona. And one might wonder where that name originated. It's Spanish, of course.
No, it isn't. In fact, it had never been a word until the founder of the city asked his mother to come up with a name. She suggested Sedona, simply because it sounded pretty.
Sedona bills itself as "the most beautiful place in the country. No, I don't agree when it comes to the man-made part--it's attractive, but I like Santa Fe better. However, the natural beauty that surrounds is damn near the most beautiful I've ever seen, especially the red rocks and soaring natural structures. My chintzy Cricket phone/camera doesn't do it justice, but just one is below. (As usual, I can't get the pictures to stay where I want them, so they'll just have to be somewhere on the page.)
The real treat came outside the city limits of Sedona when we saw the Montezuma Castle. Now, this isn't a real castle and why it was called "Montezuma" is anybody's guess, but it's a dwelling carved out of the rock and very high up. I was fascinated by the fact it was constructed, and lived in, by people almost a thousand years ago. .

It''a a shame not to go into more detail after such a full and wonderfully interesting day, but I just don't have time to do that. After a day of sight-seeing and a bit of touristy buying, we went to Cafe Jose for dinner, then home to Mesa. Didn't get there until 7:30 and we were all pretty much ready to relax. I was taken back to my little place and to bed about 10. Today should be a fun day, too, of course. Yesterday, we walked several miles, which I was glad to do. Today, we're going to walk to the town and so on. I'm glad I'm able to get my usual quota of exercise in while I'm here, if not more.

No comments:

Tuesday

 Did a color wash when I got up, had breakfast, then dressed and waited outside for the Lyft to take  me to the dentist. Annoyingly, when I ...