Wednesday, February 05, 2020

Busy

Boy, oh, boy, oh, boy; quite a busy day with Betty.
I made her a fried egg and tangerine for breakfast and I had my usual cottage cheese toast and tangerine, plus, of course, coffee,which I can't live without. (Actually, I should say I'd rather not live if I have to go without.) We then prepared for the Access Van.
Knowing the delays that can happen, I insisted that we be ready with coats and purses, exact change (three bucks each) and so on, long before the van came at 11:00. It was a few minutes late and when that happens, Betty goes into a tizzy and wanted me to call, but I didn't.
We got to Adult Center in plenty of time for 11:30 lunch. I was annoyed that we had to fill out this silly paper before we paid our $3 each. However, we did and sate down at a table. The menu consisted of salad, a roll, and beef stew, with applesauce and yogurt for dessert. It was actually pretty enjoyable, and I was glad we had come, especially when I met the director, Cheryl. I mentioned my Acting for Amateurs class and she said she'd love to get my proposal on it. We exchanged cards and talked quite a lot. I also met Valarie, who teaches dance there (although she must be not too far form my age). She has a masters in fine arts and we also exchanged cards. I want to talk more with her.
We finished lunch and said goodbye, but the van wasn't due to pick us up until almost an hour, so I suggested we walk down the street to the thrift store.
Maybe not such a hot idea. It was certainly less than a half-mile, but farther than I had thought--easy peasy for me, but Betty is no walker and was huffing and puffing. Anyway, we got there, looked around, and I thought it would be a good idea to call the Access Van and ask them to pick us up there instead of the Adult Center. Now this was just that short distance down North Ventura Avenue--number 222, instead of 550, and I was told the van would be there about 1:35.
It wasn't. I don't want to get into all that ensued, except to say that Betty gets very agitated when things don't happy precisely when they're supposed to. The upshot was that we waited, all told, about forty minutes, but hey, we didn't have any place to go, it was a nice, sunny day, so what was the harm? Home, I got Betty situated with the t.v. on, then walked over to Von's to get some cold cuts, rolls, and Cole slaw for our little lunch today.
Ellen got in at 5:00 and took us to Jasmine Thai for dinner. It's always a treat being with her and Betty enjoyed her company, too. Had a leisurely dinner, talked a bit, then El took us home. Got in at 7:00 and to bed a few hours later.
So far, so okay, aside from the constant "loss" of things. Last evening, it was her black pocketbook which she insisted she had brought with her along with the white one. I finally went in the bathroom and texted Carolyn, who sent me back a picture of Betty with everything she was bringing--a stroke of genius. Although that didn't totally convince Betty, it went a long way toward it and she eventually settled down. BUT--when we got up this morning, she had lost one of her slippers!
You laugh so you don't cry...

No comments:

Julie picked me up at 9:15 and we went to the BCNN meeting. The program. by the owner of Otto & Sons Nursery in Fillmore, was on growing...