Monday, February 24, 2020

Alone, Not Afraid

"I, a stranger and afraid/In a world I never made..."*
Na-ah! I may be a stranger, sort of, as my hosts had to go away for a time, but I don't feel like it and I'm not at all afraid. In fact, I find exploring around here interesting and stimulating.
I got directions to get to various places and yesterday after breakfast, I started out. Went to T Street, which led me to Main, and right across the street, was Superstition Market. Bought blueberries, then crossed again and walked to the right, thinking Wal-Mart was there.
It wasn't, so I went back the other way and got to Fry's, where I bought a Cobb salad for lunch. I was delighted to see that not only the world's BEST thrift store is across the street, but so is the 99 Cent Store. I'll be sure to go back. I was glad to get the walk in, which may have totaled two miles, possibly more, and it felt good.
On the way there, I passed T-118, where the Happy Hour will be at 5:00 today. Dick, the host, and Pat, another person I had met, were outside and we chatted for a bit.
Got a text from Suzanne to tell me the workmen were finished in my place, but hadn't yet put the washer and dryer in. Thanked her for that. Betty texted to ask where I was--(sigh). I told  her yet again and texted back with a heart I drew.
After lunch, I set out for Wal-Mart. I had the directions, but somehow messed up, so had to ask several people for directions. I got there, though, and picked up a made-up sandwich and small bottle of lemonade for dinner last night and a salad for lunch today.
I sat on my patio with what was left of the (small) bottle of Chardonnay from the plane and read my book. I then took a walk to the clubhouse, just to look around. As I walked back, Ellen called and we had a good long talk, about an hour's worth, I think. I always enjoy talking to her, but was sorry to hear the Hershel, Greg's mother's pug, had to be put down.
Later, my hostess called and I told her of my adventures. I'm looking forward to hearing abut hers when they get back.
*One of my favorite poems. By A.E. Housman, it seems to illustrate the modern dilemma of having to adhere to the dictates of the powerful, political, religious, or any other kind.  Housman died the year I was born. I'm going to add his poem in the comment section.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

--The Laws of God and Man--
The laws of God, the laws of man,
He may keep that will and can;
Not I: let God and man decree
Laws for themselves and not for me;
And if my ways are not as theirs
Let them mind their own affairs.
Their deeds I judge and much condemn,
Yet when did I make laws for them?
Please yourselves, say I, and they
Need only look the other way.
But no, they will not; they must still
Wrest their neighbor to their will,
And make me dance as they desire
With jail and gallows and hell-fire.
And how am I to face the odds
Of man’s bedevilment and God’s?
I, a stranger and afraid
In a world I never made.
They will be master, right or wrong;
Though both are foolish, both are strong.
And since, my soul, we cannot fly
To Saturn nor to Mercury,
Keep we must, if keep we can,
These foreign laws of God and man.
Home > Hobbies

Tuesday

 Did a color wash when I got up, had breakfast, then dressed and waited outside for the Lyft to take  me to the dentist. Annoyingly, when I ...