Sunday, February 23, 2020

Irish Cultural Center

Good grief, it rained yesterday!
We braved it, though: I was picked up and we went to the market, then took off for Phoenix and the Irish Cultural Center. We got there about 10, I guess, and were treated to a kind of historic tour of some Irish history, with an replicated Irish cottage and so on. Oddly, our tour guide was Welsh and she didn't seem as up on Ireland as her own homeland. Here's the place:

The more interesting part was the stop at the Irish Library--finally and at long last, there was some information about my favorite, William Butler Yeats. He's considered one of the best poets in the universe, but here, seemed to get a rather indifferent nod with his picture over a fire place. In the minor part they gave to the revolution, there's a picture of Maud Gonne, but not a word about their relationship. Here's Yeats:
It was raining pretty good when we got out about 1:00, so we just ran next door to a small restaurant. Had lunch there, then drove back to Mesa and I was shown "the best thrift store in town." (No siree, I saw that one--the Desert Thrift--the other day.) We then hit a very large mall, so we could get at least a mile or so. We separated (she walks faster than I do) and met after going around a time or two.  The rain cleared as we headed to Wal-Mart for coffee and toothpaste. 
Dinner was yummy salmon and veggies, then I took a shower at their place. We watched the first of a British series called Manhunt, which stars Martin Clunes. My hosts raves over the show Doc Martin, in which he also stars and I was impressed with him, too. Hope to see Doc Martin before long.  Said goodbye about 6:30 to the hosting duo, who will be back on Tuesday, after a necessary trip to their home state. 
I found Manhunt on Youtube and watched more of it, so now I'm hooked. There is a television in the room, but I turned it on only once and got bored, so will stick with the laptop. 


No comments:

Tuesday

 Did a color wash when I got up, had breakfast, then dressed and waited outside for the Lyft to take  me to the dentist. Annoyingly, when I ...