Sunday, February 16, 2020

"Art Comes Alive"

Busy, but enjoyable day.
The Access Van picked me up a bit early than scheduled and I got to the museum 45 minutes ahead of the stated 11:30 time, but no prob. There were other people in already and I was able to get to my post, open the packet left on my chair, and settle in.
Connie is just remarkable when it comes to organization. She had left me a note that her three fish were up in the changing room, along with other notes and admonitions; a name pin (Anje DeJong--that's me); and a bottle of water. I said hello to some of my fellow impersonators--many I remembered from last year--and took up my basket.
Last year, there were about seven in the room I'm in, but yesterday, there were only three. Besides me, there was the Duchess of Tuscany (Candy Harder) and the King of Sweden (can't remember his name). He was an absolute poster boy for the Middle-Aged Man Who Can't Get Enough Of Himself And Never Shuts Up. Connie had admonished us, orally and in writing, that our talk was to be 90 seconds long ideally and never last more than three minutes. This guy kept rattling on for a good ten minutes, if not longer, and what a bore. The docent and I both mentioned it to Connie and I hope she's able to get him to put the lid on it.
The patrons came in, slowly at first, then more, and it was great fun to be Anke DeJong again. About the middle of the day, a couple came in, I gave them my spiel, and the female part complimented me on my delivery and asked if I had done any acting. Why, yes indeed, and it turned out she has, too--we've both been in Arsenic And Old Lace- -and we had a great time talking. I gave her my card and asked her to get in touch. I thought she was maybe 60, but it turns out she just celebrated her seventy-fifth. Good grief, I didn't look that good when I was fifty! Anyway,her name is Marilyn and I hope to hear from her before long.
I was pleased to see my friend, Gail, come in and I stepped out of character long enough to hug her hello. Ellen came about 3:30, as promised, and after we greeted each other, she enjoyed going to the other stations and hearing the info. We left a bit after closing at 4:00, she took me home to change, and then, happy day, went to Two Trees for dinner.
Had a leisurely one, then stopped at the Dollar Tree for toy treats for her third-graders and the supermarket for cottage cheese for me. She dropped me off about 6:30 and I settled in. It was a long day, but an enjoyable one, and I'll duplicate it today.

No comments:

Tuesday

 Did a color wash when I got up, had breakfast, then dressed and waited outside for the Lyft to take  me to the dentist. Annoyingly, when I ...