Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Widder Dinner and Toastmasters

Busy day. After Kimball and breakfast, I spent the morning in going over paperwork--especially genealogy--and pulling together items for my class. My cousin Marifran--whom I call my "Cincinnati Sis"--called and we talked and talked about in-laws. Did some food prep, had lunch, then left early for town. After the walk, I went home to shower and dress for the widder dinner. I was pleased to see Nancy there--I had given her Carolyn's e-mail, so she could drive with her--and the others I like so much. I had brought my tangerines, ordered a Chardonnay, and enjoyed it, as ever. I left a 6:45 so I could get over to the Toastmasters' meeting.
I had been taken aback to see how hefty the dues are: $65 and I actually considered dropping the idea. However, I like it and decided to stay. Met some more people and participated in the "table talk" segment, which was fun.
As far as I can see, the meetings include two main speakers--last night, they were Fern, talking about a mentor of hers from college (and she's my age, at least) and Judith, who spoke on managing a mountain home (there's lots of snow). Members then vote on which one was better and the "grammarian/something else" critiques the talks, praising the good and suggesting improvements. Then there's "table topics": Ken, the president, brings up a subject (last night, it was Halloween memeories) and others put in their reminiscences. The group then votes on who was best. (Last week, this is what Ken and I won.) Anyway, I enjoyed it, but for me it was a long day. Didn't get home until almost 9:00, then sat for another half hour with T.V. and my fruit.

No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...