Wednesday, October 18, 2017

A. For A. With Opera

Biz, biz, bizzy day. After walking Kimball, I got home and realized I had neglected to fully prepare for my Acting for Amateurs class. I had decided on some of it--emotions, poetry, and so on--but didn't have it perfected. So I quickly ate breakfast and scurried around--mentally--until I was satisfied. By then, I just had time to dress and get there a little early. It went well, although only Jim, Sharon, and Char attended. Three dropped out and I knew Marcelle and Mikkii were missing yesterday. No prob--actually, it was fine.
Last week, when I mentioned the fact my plays are copyrighted, but that I occasionally revise here and there, Jim expressed surprise. He said his book was copyrighted, but he hadn't realized you can change an original work have it still protected. I said I'd like to read his book and he brought me a copy yesterday. It supports the philosophy classes he teaches and is called The Birth of Ideas; starts in 750 B.C. He writes well and I'm enjoying it.
After the hour was up, we chatted some time about opera. Jim (who, by choice, doesn't have a television) and Char (who has four, but only one works--don't ask) love opera and Sharon has seen some. I miss my opera pal, Aline, plus the rest of the devotees in LETCO, many of whom loved the genre.
Home for lunch, then Judith from Toastmasters called. She asked if she could see the clubhouse to report back to Ken (the prez) and I said I'd meet her there. Finally did about 2:30, after a lot of back and forth I won't even go into.
After we saw it, I invited her back to my place; she accepted and we sat and talked for more than an hour. Judith, who's maybe in her late forties or early fifties, is very attractive, but said she suffers from social anxiety. Her father, now 87, was a physician; her mother committed suicide at 46, as did her brother at 25. I like her a lot and we clicked, even though there's a big age gap. I walked her out about 4:00 and ran Suzanne at her car. Ken, the 92-year-old (not the Toastmasters Ken), has moved into Lexington House (thanks to Suzanne, Don, an Human Services), and Suzanne was clearing some of his things out.
By the time I got to town, it was 4:30, but that was okay. I stayed an hour reading a new book about Joe DiMaggio (yeah, I have eclectic tastes), left and walked back, drove home, had dinner, and must decide what to wear at the Council For Seniors meeting this morning.
And darn: I got up for the usual last night and had a terrible time getting back to sleep. Unusual for me and I hope it doesn't recur.

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...