Sunday, October 15, 2017

Symposium And Carole

Quite a day. It was almost 8:00 by the time I got home from Kimball and I immediately changed to attend the Breast Cancer Symposium in Cararillo. Skipped breakfast, trusting the "catered breakfast and lunch" mention on the brochure was factual--it was.
I had never driven to this area before, at least not by myself, and I set off with a little trepidation. The Mapquest directions were confusing and I did stop once to ask. However, it turned out to be pretty straightforward and I got there with no problem.
Wow, what a beautiful church and meeting building this is. It's in a lovely setting with trees and flowers everywhere; Camarillo itself is gorgeous, in fact. There are lots of soaring hills and faraway vistas--a feast for the spirit.
The symposium was excellent. The speakers were interesting and down to earth and I learned a lot about the topic. We were seated at round tables, covered with white linen and with fresh flower arrangements in the middle. The day was free for attendees and its sponsors--a bank, several jewelry companies, and so on--displayed this and that around the perimeter. The first part featured an oncologist, a plastic surgeon, a nutritionist (who will speak at SCAN next month; I chatted with her after), and a counselor. We broke about noon for lunch, then there were panel discussions. After awarding a number of door prizes donated by the sponsors, it was over.
I had no problem getting home and, of course, immediately changed and left for town. Did the m. to l. routine and on the way back to the car, Betty called. We chatted for a bit--nothing much new in Jersey. When I got home at 5:00, I rang Suzanne's bell to report on the symposium. I asked her to tell her colleagues at St. John's how much I appreciated and enjoyed it.
I was mildly annoyed, but not at all surprised, to get an e-mail from Carole saying she was dropping the acting class because she just has too much to do. This is her constant whine, but what those things are, it's hard to say. She kept telling me she wanted the same roles she had done in the last session. I kept telling her I wanted her to stretch a bit, and indicated I would put her in something else. She doesn't seem to understand that this is what a director does; players don't get to pick and choose what roles they get. Okay, I'll just adjust and see what goes in the class.

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...