Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Dutchman's Bauhaus

I typed as a Word document (with some tweaking) the caterpillar story Rose had given me and took it over to her place.  She and Bernie asked me in and insisted on showing me a lot of old pictures, some of Atlantic City during WW II.  Why, I don't know.
This is a couple that seems to have plenty of dough--they have a place in Palm Springs, but spend most of their lives on cruises.  Evidently, they're well-monied, but unfortunately, seem bereft when it comes to inner resources.  Both talked and talked, nonstop, in Brooklynese, and Bernie was downright frantic in quizzing me on old hotels in Atlantic City. 
Finally escaped and went to the book sale at the library to pick Aline up at 2:30.  I was pleased to see Fred and Marge D. there, also, and introduced them to Aline.  Bought a few books, then the two of us went on our way.
We had a late lunch at The Dutchman's Bauhaus, a German restaurant (well, it sure as hell wouldn't be Taiwanese) we've been wanting to try.  Aline had knockwurst and I bratwurst--very tasty.  Naturally, I wouldn't visit such an establishment without sampling the beer (my Figenshu antecedents would spin in their graves), so ordered a German brew with a long name.   
It was good, but I was stunned when I got the tab to see it cost eight dollars!  Geez, my meal was only fifty cents more than that.  However, I paid, (I could hardly do elsewise), reminding myself that restaurants make most of their profit on booze.
By that time, it was after 4:00 and we drove down LBI to our favorite place, the breakwater at Holgate.  It was an incredibly beautiful day with brilliant sunshine glittering  on the waves and we spent an hour or so there. I took pictures, one of which I'll see if I can put here.  I could and did--see above.  (Haven't figured out how to attach it to this post.)
Dropped Aline off and got home about 7:00 to find messages from my friend, inviting me to go up today (I accepted) and from Rachel, asking me to call her.  I did and she asked me to take over the directorship of The Ugly Duckling, should be perform it at Shalom House.  Called her back and accepted.  Will get in touch with Bobbi and the others as soon as I can.

No comments:

Tuesday

As has been happening lately, I spent an age dealing with R.E. agent, Kim, and requirements  surrounding the house. I got the quarterly wate...