Thursday, September 19, 2013

Eye

A combination day of good and ill.  My eye still hurt in the morning and I was able to get a 7:45 appointment with Dawn, the nurse practitioner.  She looked, didn't see anything in the eye, and prescribed two eye drop prescriptions; said if not better in 24 hours, to see my eye doctor.  I drove up to Wal-Mart for the drops, and was dismayed to find I wasn't supposed to drive after, as one of them dilates the pupils.  Went to Scissor Sisters to explain I didn't want to wait to treat my eye until I got home from there, so I couldn't keep the hair appointment; they were very accommodating about it.  Went to Stafford Library to tell Aline I couldn't pick her up at 12:30 as we had planned.  She wasn't there yet, so I called her and invited her to get off the bus at Radio Road and walk to my house for lunch.  Home, I put the drops in, then went to open the drawer where I keep place mats--and the drawer front broke in some way, so I can't open it. 
Called Leslie to 1.) ask her to ask Dennis to come look at it, when possible and 2.) invite her to join Aline and me for lunch.  She said yes to both, and arrived shortly thereafter.  I put together what I had in the house: tomato and red pepper soup from Trader Joe's, salad, and leftover hard-boiled eggs and chicken for sandwiches.  Had a nice convivial time, then Leslie left about 3:00 and Aline and I sat talking and talking.  I read her my Christmas At Delaney's script and she thought it was very funny.  She suggested that I write her in as a customer at Delaney's who comes in and sings the Hebrew celebratory song  "Haily, Haily," or whatever it is--a great idea, which I'll certainly do. 
I continued to put the eye drops in while  A. was here and didn't take her home until 7:00.  My eye feels much better, but still not absolutely okay, so I have to decide whether to simply keep doing the drops, or call my ophthalmologist.  I have to get that headlight* replaced and I need to make another appointment for my hair; I also have a Breeze meeting at 2:00.  Dennis called to say he'd be here this morning at 8:00 to look at the drawer. 
On a lighter note: I had sent the parents of my daughter-in-law a congratulatory card about K.J., and they sent back an e-mail.  They wrote that he is their angel and they hope he will be "gentle and brave."  I found that so moving in its beauty and simplicity. 
* So that's two headlights I have to worry about--heh, heh.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

I would suggest you make an appointment with your eye doctor now, and just cancel it if it feels perfect by the time the appointment arrives. My pain came and went, but that damn thing was in my eye for over a month--and I never could see it myself.

Mimi said...

Thanks, El. I'll certainly do that if I have any more trouble with it. However, it takes MONTHS to get an appointment there unless it's an emergency, and I don't think I could get in very soon, anyway.

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...