Sunday, September 29, 2013

SB Antique Road Show

Met Betty for lunch at Celina's, a luncheonette in Galloway.  I had suggested it, because I had a good salad there a few months ago when Louise, Denise, and I met there.  Not sure why, but I ordered a turkey sandwich--okay, but nothing special.
We parted, then I assembled my items for the Antiques Roadshow.  They had to be brought to the clubhouse at 5:30.  Did that, then went back when it started at 7:00.  I'd estimate there were about forty people there, most of whom brought artifacts they were sure were worth fortunes.  Ray, the appraiser, is the guy whose shop I visited last week. 
He's quite a talker and spoke generally about his antique/collectible adventures for more than an hour.  For some unknown reason, he included an anecdote concerning the days when he was "dean of business schools."  That's pretty vague and I don't remember which "business schools" he meant--or if they're accredited--when we met, but he recounted his speech at an educator's convention at which he argued against federal aid to education.  Had no relevance to us last night at all.
Once he got started, though, he was pretty interesting.  He let most of the people down who were sure their artifacts was priceless, but some he thought were worth money.  He liked my sampler, but admitted he knew little about them, and suggested I consult David Rago, in Lambertville.
It happens that I've met David; we had been fellow members of the postcard club in Washington Crossing, so I think I'll investigate that.
Because the guy never wanted to relinquish the floor, it wasn't over until 10:00, so got home late the second day in a row.  No matter, I don't have anything scheduled for today, and just want to gear down.

No comments:

Tuesday

As has been happening lately, I spent an age dealing with R.E. agent, Kim, and requirements  surrounding the house. I got the quarterly wate...