Saturday, September 14, 2013

Talk In The Provinces

A pleasant day, spent mostly with my sidekick.  Picked her up at 12:30 and we went down to Atlantic County.  Lunched at Shore Diner, purchased several bottles wine at Canal's, bought veggies and ornamental pepper plants at Produce Junction, and stopped at the cemetery on the way home.  We then sat on my porch until 5:30 or so, drinking iced tea and talking and talking. 
Aline and I compared notes some time ago and reluctantly agree that--come on, let's fact it--most of the people we know are pretty provincial.  The women, in particular, tend to defer to their husbands and the men lean toward sports and a Head of the Household mentality.  The majority are religious (most whom I know brought up Catholic), and it's difficult, if not impossible, to break through the ironbound conservatism that characterizes that persuasion.  You just can't objectively discuss topics other than recipes, television shows, and the cute sayings of little Herkimer.   
So-o-o, a companion who has the range of knowledge and--more important--sense of curiosity and open-mindedness needed to intelligently pursue subjects such as politics and religion is a prize. 
Took my prize home, had dinner, and chose a picture of my precious new grandson from Google + to turn, crop, and print out.  It came out nicely and I have it displayed in the foyer.
I was flattered to get an e-mail from John, our former leader at Players & Playwrights, asking me to read and critique his play.  Wrote back that I'll do that and get back to him by tomorrow.
Audition today at Surflight--hope this one goes better than the last!          

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...