Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Labor Day And Syria

Passed a pleasant day in Ventnor.  I got there about 11:30 and luckily for me--but not for those poor souls who wanted to enjoy Labor Day on the beach--it started to rain on my way down after being overcast.  I even got a parking spot right next to Betty's, as the town cleared out early, I guess.
Rob and Tim had gone to Cape May and Wes and Miranda were on the beach (it didn't rain until later in Ventnor), so Betty and I sat on the porch and talked  Muckie came over and stayed to chat for a time.  Wes and Miranda returned, and shortly after, we heard thunder which, judging by Muckie's reaction, was a signal for the start of WW III.  Great consternation to a simple summer shower, and she actually left hurriedly.  Betty overreacted a bit, too, but soon calmed down.  It rained, but only for a short time.  The street quickly flooded, but drained off later. 
The two in Cape May returned, then Tim went up to the hospital to visit a friend and Wes took Miranda up to Ripley's Believe It Or Not.  We other three--well, sat on the porch and talked.  I got antsy; I can take a few hours of that, but not much more, so I asked Rob if he'd like to take a walk.  Yes, and we did, strolling on the boardwalk up to Ventnor Pier.  I was delighted to realize we were allowed to go out halfway.  It's a fishing pier and when I was a kid, only members could go that far out.  There were surfers in the water, the sun came out, and I had a fine time talking to Rob and getting to know him better. He and his girlfriend, Jan, with whom he lives in Oregon, foster cats for "Meow Village" until the kitties get "a forever home."  They are devotees of "jam bands" (I'm not sue what they are) and often attend concerts in western states. They plan a tour of Europe shortly and will visit Rob's brother, Dave, in Rome.
After we got back, Tim returned, and we had a nice pasta dinner (I had given Betty my leftover sausage and peppers from Sunday, to which she added meatballs), then went around the corner for ice cream cones.  Wes was still gone, but it was well after 7:00 and getting dark, so I left for home.  Very nice day and I'm glad I got to spend more time with my nephews.
WIDER:  This just drips with sarcasm, as any discussion of the latest political horror should:
http://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2013/09/02/syria-obama-congress-and-media-collaborating-on-a-con-job/

1 comment:

Jim Wetzel said...

Our government's jihadi employees have used some chem weapons, and Obummer now has confidence that AIPAC has jerked enough of "our" representatives into line, with a comfortable margin, so here goes. I imagine that some of the lawfakers who might be facing a challenging re-election effort have been given permission to vote "no," since it won't matter. El jefe will proceed to "punish" Assad by slaughtering a bunch of Syrian civilians, the usual proportion of whom will be women, children, and old, old men. Ah, but how credible our glorious leaders will be!

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...