Wednesday, September 25, 2013

"The Ugly Duckling"

I was very relieved after the eye doctor carefully examined me and saw no (new) problems.  She said the dilatation could last as song as a week after the eye drops I used.  Made a follow-up appointment at her direction.
Rose G. called, then came over to drop off an article and pictures about the caterpillar, then butterfly that lived in her parsley patch--well, herb garden.  Of course, she gave the fact that it stayed for some time all kinds of mystic significance.  She doesn't use a computer and it was on lined paper, not even hand-written, but printed.  No biggie,  I'll type it onto a Word document and we'll run it in the November Breeze issue. 
Left for Atlantic County early and got to Ventnor about 11:45; call was for noon.  Rachel was already there and the others came in shortly.  We finished dressing, had some last-minute crises, and finally trouped in to--at long last and after interminable rehearsals--perform the play.
It actually turned out pretty good--very good, in fact.  The room was filled to capacity (more chairs had to be brought in) and all went reasonably smoothly.  The audience applauded very vigorously and many came up to us after to express their enjoyment.  There was an intermission with refreshments and then the four women in the "creative writing" FELS course held the floor.
Our Ad Hoc Players member, Sondra M. (who played princess to my prince), was probably the best.  She had been assigned to write a letter to the part of her body she must disliked and chose her weight.  It was well done and funny.  Others were a tad boring, but went quickly, anyway.
After, we adjourned to Johnny's CafĂ©, in Margate.  We got there at 3:00 and, following what seems to be a tradition of confusion, we found we'd have to sit at the bar until 4:00, when Happy Hour started--or something.  As it turned out, after complications and glasses of wine, we sat at a table and had dinner.
Rachel had announced that she'd pick up the tab, but I protested.  I thought it was outrageous that ten people--including the sister of one of us, who has no connection with the group--would be so crass as not to protest.  It happens that Johnny's is very expensive and I gave Rachel my share; I hope others did.
Anyway, it was a fun outing, finally breaking up about 6:00.  I stopped in at Betty's for a few minutes or the way home, then settled down after.
Incidentally, I spoke to Bev R., the president of the FELS group, about running an acting workshop next year, and she was receptive.  It seems that Rachel's readers' theatre is no longer being done, as there were only three sign-ups.  I've been urged, also, by many of our members, not to wait for FELS, but to run my own workshop first.  I'm considering that.   
    

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...