Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A Talker

Stripped the sheets, washed, and re-made the bed in the guest room (big whoops, as my kids would say) and otherwise occupied myself domestically in the morning.  The woman who had borrowed my book after the DQ program, Ann K., brought it back about 10:00.  Just to be polite, I invited her in.
Big mistake.  She stayed more than an hour, recounting her entire childhood (starting with birth), teen years (she was a cheerleader in about--oh, 1901), and working life (sterling).  She told me she was a CPA and when I remarked that I knew there were gruelling exams involved, she said she had passed "it" (I understood there were several that people took in stages) on the first go.  I raised my eyebrows, then they went sky high when she said that her former employer, a sole proprietor accountant, found her so desirable (I'm talking work-wise), he paid for her to go to college.  When she objected that she had to take care of her five children, the guy said his wife would watch them (what?!?).  She made sure to tell me chapter and verse all about about her working life as a "supervisor" (why does everybody think that word embodies high-level business acumen when it usually just means you're a head peon among peons?) but, it seemed to me, described more bookkeeping than accounting.  What an incredible bore--and boor.  Finally, I regretfully (yeah, sure) lied in my teeth and told her I needed to get ready for an appointment.  She left, but not before borrowing another book.
Harry V. came to the door to give me the bocce standings (don't ask) and a letter of thanks to bocce participants for The Breeze.  All of this was written in the future tense as if it would be read soon, and not after July 1 when the paper comes out.  Called Harry to tell him and rewrote it for him.  Stopped at Virginia's to drop it off and stayed to chat for a bit.  She showed me the cover for July and--ouch!  It's the head of a ferocious looking eagle with "FREEDOM" written under it and a flag-draped back ground.  It's so mindlessly militaristic, but what could I do but nod?  (Mimi, you spineless worm.) Well, at least I didn't express admiration.
Talked to Betty and told her I'd like to go down to the farmers' market at St. James tomorrow.  She'll meet me there, then we'll cook up dinner at her place.  However, rain is predicted, in which case all bets are off.
Going to my first Red Hats lunch today.  I'm not entirely sure I want to join such a silly group, but I do like to go to lunch and want to expand my circle of acquaintance.  However, they're playing miniature golf after and, although I guess I'd rather do that than hang by my thumbs for three days--it's a tough choice--I'm going to beg off. 

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...