Saturday, June 02, 2012

Lots O' Stuff

Hoo-boy, quite a lot going on.  Walked to the clubhouse at 8:00 to put in the exercise CD and was so-o-o frustrated when I couldn't get the damn thing to run.  Grrr. Walked back home and had breakfast.
Assembled some of my mountains of DQ memorabilia and ran over the narrative.  Jumped in the shower, had a bite of lunch, then went to the library and rehearsed.  Was pleased to find I could cut the program down to about an hour (hope that wasn't just because I talked faster.)
The library people said registration for my program is going up.  That may be because the article and picture on it appeared in both The Sandpaper and The Leader newspapers.  Okay, they're not the NYTimes and might have a combined readership of 15, but people are noticing.  It was also, of course, in The Breeze.
Speaking of our little paper, throughout the day, we on the editorial staff exchanged e-mails on what to do about the letter from Julie L. maligning Joan C. that appeared in The Communicator. We (the other members of the staff) collectively decided that editor-in-chief Virginia would deliver a letter to Julie informing her that her services (what services?  She never did a damn thing) are no longer required.  I wrote up a little piece praising Joan, that will run in the next Breeze, signed by all of us.
Finished at the library, went to Acme and a couple or few other places for errands.  Home at 4:30, I was amazed to get a message from Adrian at the library to the effect that somebody had left an "Annette" spoon for me at the desk.  I rushed back there, picked it up, and was please that Adrian had gotten the donor's name and number.  Called to thank her and we had a nice chat. 
Got a call from the northern dweller to firm up plans for tomorrow and the wedding.  Talked to J., who was driving with N. and the boys and discussed how to get the pool to them.  Called Tara, who's selling it to me, and we made a date for me to get it today.  Damn, I hope it fits in the car.
Brother Larry called and we had a good long talk.  He got my birthday present (the makings for s'mores that he can share with his huge family) and he said they're all going to Cumberland Island to celebrate it next week.
Gotta get my stuff ready for tomorrow, as I may stay over.
WIDER:  One of my favorite anti-war blogs is Chris Floyd's Empire Burlesque.  Like the name, too--very descriptive of our times, but like even more the title of "This Can't Be Happening."  That's what I feel--although I'm getting numb--when I read about the "kill list" now in force. Here's a good piece from The New Yorker on just that:
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/comment/2012/05/the-presidents-kill-list.html

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...