Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Red Hats

Neat day.  Drove over to the clubhouse at 11:30 where I learned I had been accepted as a new member of "The Sparklers" Red Hat group.  When I walked in, I was pleased to see Lucille S. was a member; however, she didn't accompany us to lunch--bad knees.  I was taken aback, though, to see that the others attending (Jo G., Virginia H., Lee S., Lillian M., and Theresa S.) were wearing--in various levels of notability--either purple shirts, or sequined caps, or both.  I was urged to get something along that line, too--aagh! 
I'm not crazy about the whole concept of "Red Hats"; it seems to me it supports exactly what I rail against: the idea that older women are somehow cute and funny and not to be taken seriously.  I may or may not get some kind of identifying mark. 
Anyhoo, there was a short sort-of business meeting, after which we went to Calloway's for lunch.  I drove my own car, as I had some errands to run in Manahawkin and C.'s is halfway there.  I was relieved to see the rest of the group had removed their hats and weren't particularly noticeable as members of Red Hats. 
We had a convivial lunch.  I like Virginia (our editor-in-chief at The Breeze), Lee, and Jo; Lillian and Theresa maybe not so much.  I try to ignore it, but their very broad Brooklyn accents are so grating and they seem to carry the boring old prejudices--Theresa, for instance, mentioned disparagingly the "orientals" who seem to have taken over her old neighborhood.  Couldn't help but tell her rugs are "oriental," people are Asian and that I have two Asian daughters-in-law.  This seemed to go right over her head.
All that aside, I enjoyed myself.  Had some good talk on other subjects, plus a yummy "West Creek burger": a big, thick, rare burger, heaped with fried onions and mushrooms, and a Blue Moon.  (I was the only one who ordered a beer--ale, actually--which made me smile on the inside.)
Stopped at Lowe's, as I'm looking for more flowering vincas to fill in around the tree, and ran into Anne Mary. She had just been to Red Bank for a biopsy and looks like a concentration camp survivor.  I usually think thin is better, but there's a tipping point and she went over it several years ago; has a gastrointestinal problem.  Went to Acme for a few things, then drove home in a heavy rain.  Finished up my "Neighborly News" column (written by "M.S." aka "Mysterious Stranger") and called Leslie for a nice chat.  Rosie D. then called to invite me on an excursion on June 28.  The kids may be here, so I may not be available, but said I would if I could. 
Called the LETCO number, as I was curious about the message, but it wasn't a recording.  It's at Tonya's desk at work (she works for NAFAC, the federal government, and my taxes pay her salary--hmm...but on the other hand, I really don't care).  She asked if I'd get the concessions stuff from Judy and Roman, also if I'd help Aline with them during the shows.  Agreed, and told her we'd be attending rehearsal tomorrow night.  Called Roman and will pick up it up tomorrow.
WIDER:  A video from Academi, formerly Xe, and before that, Blackwater.  Here are some fun guys toolin' down an Iraqi street:
http://vimeo.com/39647669
The other tapes are even better.  One shows a truck zooming past a woman who's been struck by another vehicle and is lying unconscious in a gutter.  Lotta laughs for all, except the Iraqis, but hey, you can't please everybody.

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...