Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Wake

Walked with the boys (Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, and so on), then did wash and tidied up the guest room.  Drove to the SOCH thrift store in Manahawkin and got some toys, books, and games for the real (little) boys, coming soon.  Had lunch, dressed, and left for the "visitation" ("wake"; seems to me even the later "viewing" is a silly affectation) for Pat K. about 2:30.
Pat's house is lovely.  It was built in, I'd say, 1830 or so, and retains great beauty with its large foyer, mahogony woodwork, and thick walls.  It's directly across from Rider and set on beautifully landscaped grounds.  The big kitchen--enlarged and modernized--runs along the whole back and there are attractive decks on two levels.
I was surprised, but charmed, by the fact that Pat was laid out right in what I guess would be called "the palour."  When I was a kid in 1902, practically all wakes were held in the deceased's home; it would have seemed odd to use a "funeral home" or--to follow the modern trend--have it in the church before the ceremony.  However, this seemed right and proper and, somehow, I was glad of it.  The room was filled with white calla lillies--may have been Pat's favorite flowers--and the house with gorgeous flowers, both from florists and I think, Pat's own gardens, as she was an avid amateur horticulturist.
Talked to Pat's husband, Edzu (Polish, pronounced "Ed-jew") and several of her six children, then saw and chatted with Kathy B., Linda J., and Marie M., all of whom I remember from my Rider days.  Left after an hour or so and drove home.  With other recent passings and back-to-back viewings ("wakes," "visitations"), I've had enough of death.*
Stopped at the northern dweller's on the way home, but declined her dinner invitation.  Possible lake action with the boys today; hope it's warm enough.
Made a tofu stir-fry with peppers, mushroom, and onions; very good.
*And at my back, I always hear/Time's winged chariot hurrying near...(Andrew Marvel, To His Coy Mistress).  Boy, do I ever--and louder all the time.

No comments:

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...